Stick Edger Vs. RedMax Reciprocator

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheKingNJ, May 4, 2004.

1. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

I've worked at a golf course for 4 years now(still there part time) and we use a RedMax Reciprocator for all edging. I can cut like crazy with these things, I do all the flowerbeds there and cut 58 sand traps 2 times a year.
    But anyway i've been getting flower bed jobs like crazy and i've been borrowing the Reciprocator from the golf course but now since i'm getting so much work I want to buy something.
    So i'm wondering since I have never used a stick edger should I get a stick edger to do flower beds or get a reciprocator(thing costs a small fortune). What is the difference between the two. I know the stick edger is faster but does it do as good of a job when renovating flower beds? how are they on really over grown beds and when making new beds. Which one should I get. How come I don't see any lawn guys with them? How come I don't see any other companies that make them other then Redmax?
    Thanks Guys

[​IMG]

VS.

[​IMG]

2. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Id think a Reciprocator can clean up an over grown bed faster then a stick edger. Myself when I edge a new home that hasnt been done in months , I have to go over it a few times witg asn edger. I to worked on a golf course and we used those too. Couldnt you change heads on that and make it a string trimmer as well?

3. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

come on guys i need some more answers.
    what should i get?

4. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

king i don't get what your saying. i think your talking about re-edging flower and mulch beds, for that application i dont think the stick edger would work especially for new beds. i can see how the saw one worked, because it has a blade, but the stick edger probally wont have enough power:)

5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Umm... I would go with an edger because of a safety standpoint. You hit a rock or something that what crazy thing and it will send it flying because it doesnt have a guard like an edger does. Just my 2 cents. Get an edger with atleast a 26cc engine and you wont run into any problems.

6. LakeWeeds

LakeWeeds LawnSite Member

7. Jaeger

Jaeger LawnSite Member

Go with a high end edger from the likes of RedMax or Echo. I even like Robins edger. Its got a very heavy duty gear/shroud/blade area, although alittle on the weak powerplant side. I like Huskys also, which I believe make a Recip.

8. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

9. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

The Stihl 110 is the most powerful stick edger out there.

10. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

If you're interested in the RedMax Reciprocator, Kawasaki has a trimmer attachment called the Twin Turbo Blade you should look at.....instead of reciprocating like a hedge trimmer one blade turns clockwise and the other turns counter-clockwise.

I've got one and I really like it.