Stick edger vs. String trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PLM-1, Aug 30, 2004.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't decide whether or not i should buy a stick edger. are they that great? do they do as good of a job as a string trimmer? the trimmer looks pretty darn good in my opinion.

If you think i should try one which brand? I love my shindaiwa trimmer and blower. I hate echo...bought one of their trimmers a couple of years ago and that thing lasted one yard until i snapped in half and threw it in the dumpster!

Thanks in advance!
  2. fivespot

fivespot LawnSite Member

Stick edger is my vote time is money.
  3. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

well IMO i would have both, trimmer for just trimming and edger being run for walks and drives,now if you have a drive or walkway that is overgrown then no question a a edger is best.We have push edgers and sticks...

and yes shinny is a good trimmer and stick..
  4. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

Stick edger will leave a professional straight edge everytime. Trimmer is dependant upon the operator whether it will be consistanly straight.
  5. BladeRunner1967

BladeRunner1967 LawnSite Member

Will a stick edger clean up a walkway that is overgrown(never been edged)? Also will they work on asphalt driveways that are not very straight? Mulch beds? I am really interested in one because I have not seen one on any LCO's trailers in this area. Thanks.
  6. CJ GreenScapes

CJ GreenScapes LawnSite Member
    from AL

Its funny how different things are in other areas. Around here, you do not see an LCO without a stick edger. IMO, no edge looks better than one done with a stick. But then again, that's just what I am used to seeing and using.
  7. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

in my area you don't see them shindaiwa dealer doesn't even have any in stock! but of course he can order. on the sinds, is one model better than the other?
  8. darkshadow

darkshadow LawnSite Member
    from kansas

The 260 has slightly more CCs than the 230 does. For power and establishing a first time edge with a stick, the Stihl FC110 might be your best bet Joplin (fleetwood probably has those). Are you solo operation Jop?
  9. printer88

printer88 LawnSite Member

Sticks are really a lot better for edging.Easier to use,faster and a lot less mess.If you can afford it,get one you will be glad you did.
    Dark is right,the Stihl brand edgers are sweet.They are fine for edges that are not very straight,asphalt is fine too.
  10. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Go with the STIHL FC110 you will not disappointed. I like this model for 3 reasons #1 straight shaft, #2 Power to spare & #3 It's a multi purpose machine check out and you will see what i mean. Good luck in your search.