1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stick Edger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mortymower, May 12, 2005.

1. Mortymower

Mortymower LawnSite Member

I use my weedeater now and just turn it upside down like i have for 6 years but in some places i have to go VERY slow, and i was wondering if the stick edgers with one wheel by echo, stihl, and redmax were worth what they cost. DO ther do a good job and are they easy to use. Just wondering
  2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I used my line trimmer as well, never been able to make a stick edger work well for me... I am very fast with the trimmer doing edges, just as fast as trimming anything else. Bermuda that grows fast over the edgs slows me down, but otherwise it's still faster than going back to the trailer to get an edger that ends up missing half of what I go over anyway. Plus then I have to walk right over what I just edged to do the trimming with the weedeater. Don't give up on the trimmer line, It's still easier to load line than it is to change blades.
  3. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

I use a stick edger and like the way it leaves a crisp edge. Never got the hang of turning the weed eater to edge plus I burned up a lot of string. I guess it all comes down to what you prefer.
  4. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Stick edgers are just another piece of hardware on the trailer that you can do without. As a guy pointed out in another thread why not get a backup trimmer instead. My newest employees learn to make a good edge in less than one week.
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Good point, I forgot to mention... I carry two trimmers with me. they are cheap compared to other equipment and whe one runs out of line in the middle of a job I just grab the other and finish and wait to reload the spool at home. Trimmers are funny too, sometimes the rain will cause one to not want to fire. No worries, grab the other one!

I have a 3 place Trimmer Trap rack and the top rack stays empty because my stick edger stays in my garage hanging on the wall with cob webs on it!
  7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

DANG!! That means that you have been doing it that way since you were
    8 years old! :dizzy:
  8. SoloMow

SoloMow LawnSite Member

My Redmax stick edger is the single best investment I have made during my second year in the business. I can make a perfect edge as fast as I can walk. Trimmers, in the hands of an experienced LCO, can make good edges. Anyone can make a perfect edge with a stick edger. :cool:
  9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

LMAO, some peoples kids. :rolleyes:
  10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Back in the Dark Ages before there were stick edgers, I would often use the trimmer instead of those awkward "walk-behind" edgers. But with the stick edgers, heck, I can practically run while I edge.

And what's so hard about changing the blade? That's one of the faster and easier things to do.