Stick Edger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnspecialties, Apr 27, 2006.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Well, 2006 is turning out to be the year quite a few pieces of equipment have decided to "give up the ghost". My RedMax strato-charged edger is getting to the point of throwing good money after bad. Now what? I haven't tried the strato-charged engines of lately, so I'm looking all opinions. What else is out there, everyone?

One favor, please. If you have an edger you really like, tell me and why. Let's don't just hype up a piece of equipment just because it's on our trailer. Thanks to all in advance. I value your opinion.

One more thing I've learned all too often. Basically, price is not a factor. Hey, quality doesn't come cheap these days and time is money. Thanks everybody.:)

2. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I like my stihl FC110, I think it has more power, and is lighter than the redmax.

3. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I've never used a Red Max but, I do have the Stihl FC110 and have been very happy with the power of this machine.

Rob

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

My main dealer carries Redmax, Stihl, and Echo. Thanks for the input.:)

5. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Lawnspecialities

We purchased the Redmax straight shaft Stratocharged stick edger last spring. Our local dealer has Redmax and Stihl. We put them sise by side to compare. I went in wanting to get the 4-mix powered Stihl. What sold me on theRedmax was the grease fitting at the blade housing, Redmax wheel at end of shaft was steel rim vs plastic, fuel tank opening was larger and the cap was simpler on redmax, and the Redmax was 20 dollars less.

6. LALawnboy

LALawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

this may be pointless for me to submit my opinion, but i started out with the echo pe-200 edger. true, it doesn't have the big power but for what i need it for, it's perfect. i even picked up a yard this spring that hadn't been edged in god knows how long, where the grass had grown over the sidewalk at least 6 or 7 inches with dirt underneath and this little wonder went right through it. once the edge is already established, the pe-200 works just fine on routine edging. i can fly with that thing. hope this helps.

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Ditto the Stihl FC110, great machine.

8. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Echo PE-260 is what we use. Excellent power, lightweight and it has an open shield so that it doesn't clog.

9. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

I like Echo but here you only have a choice between Stihl and Echo. I have a PAS260 with the edger attachment that I used for a while but last year I got a deal on the Echo PE3100 the biggest one they make. Lots of power, the new model PE311 has an open shield and wouldn't clog up as much in wet dirt which would be nice.

10. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Everything ITL said....and it's worth EVERY penny spent!:clapping: