Stick edger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mhussey, Jun 8, 2006.

1. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

I have been thinking about buying a stick edger. I don't need no super machine because I don't have many accounts. I just need a simple machine that I can get good service out of. Question is this. What do you pro's suggest for a good quality stick edger that won't stick it to my back pocket. Any suggestions would be grateful.

2. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Do you have a local STIHL dealer? If you do check out the STIHL FC100 or FC110. the FC100 is a curved shaft edger and the FC110 is a straight shaft model. I have an FC110 and I could not be happier with it I use it so much I have no need for a WB edger. If you don't have STIHL you could also check out Red Max as they have a straight shaft stick edger.

Good luck in your search

Rob

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

FC-100 all the way :waving:

4. guven

guven LawnSite Member

how about husky curved shaft stick edger.

5. mhussey

I do have a few Stihl dealers in my area. Do you know about how much these units cost? Thanks for the info..

6. guven

guven LawnSite Member

How is your husky trimmer, how old is it?I was wondering I have one 123 husky trimmer, I love it.they are very good, do you think I shluld but bigger one.

7. mhussey

I absolutely love my trimmer. I got this trimmer on the used rack at my dealer for 125.00. It has ran fine since I have had it. One reason why I like it is that it's really light and still has enough grunt to cut the thick stuff. I am not a big fan of the biggest and baddest trimmer club. I prefer a nice light trimmer. If you need the biggest and baddest trimmer they make, don't need that job. JMO. Hope this helps.

8. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

The Husqvarna edger sells for only $200. As far as I am concerned Husky 2 stroke is far superior to Stihl in terms of starting and reliability.

9. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Matt, I'm not exactly 100% sure on price and the prices from state to state will vary since your in NC and i'm in NJ. The FC110 runs about $400.00+ but it is a true powerhouse and is worth every penny. I don't know about the FC100 I could give my dealer a call tomorrow and see what his prices are if that would help you compare NC to NJ prices. You could also look at the FC75. The FC100 & FC75 should be a bit cheaper than the 110.

Rob

10. scagchevy4life

scagchevy4life LawnSite Member

well.. one thing you can do if u have an extra stihl weedwacker or want to upgrade ot new weedwacker, get a edger head. You really dont use edger too much once you get it. So if you get on a weedwacker that u dont use too much and get urself a new weedwacker and use string head off old one. Thats kinda what i did. Bought new FS110 w/no weedwacker head and put edger shaft on old FS85 and it pushes it liek no ones buisness, plus it really didnt cost u too much since u probably might be getting new weedwacker n e wyz... MAYBE?