1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

stick edger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by challenger55, Dec 27, 2003.

1. challenger55

challenger55 LawnSite Member

hey guys,

for this coming season i am considering to buy a stick edger.

things i want to know is

which one has the most power?
    does it clog a lot?
    which to buy the straight shaft or the curve shaft?
    and will the engine start in 1 to 2 pulls every time?

i have the choices of
    shindaiwa, sthil, redmax,

sthil has the best dealer support of the 3
    i was also wandering what was the mix ratio of the sthil
  2. glenjr10

glenjr10 LawnSite Member

This is my personal opinion on Edgers.

When I began, I already had a commercial weedeater, so I went out and purchased a stick edger, and Backpack blower. Looking back, I am glad I got the blower, but I regret on purchasing the stick edger single tool. I would rather spend about $100-150 extra, and get a multi-tool, that would also be able to be used as a back-up weedeater. I have not used my stick edger since may, because I have gotten used to using my weedeater as a edger. I can cut a edge, much faster with the weedeater, because I do not have to get out the stick, and then start it, and the bring it back to the trailer.

Just my .02
  3. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I purchased a stihl stick edger. I was really happy with it for awhile. After a lot of use, it started to bog down a lot. I haven't had the chance to go through and clean it really well, so that could be the reason.

As for the outcome - the stick edger gives the lawn an outstanding look. With the grass and cement seperated with a definate line makes all the difference. I would never edge with my trimmer, you can't get the same outcome.
  4. newmanfan

newmanfan LawnSite Member

All Stihl equipment is 50:1, if you are using Stihl mix it is 2.6oz/ gallon.

Go with the straight shaft. Easier to manuever, it also has a gear box, and utilizes the engine power better.

The new 110 motor is more fuel efficent than the 85, and has more torque, and runs at a lower tone.

If you get either the dedicated FC unit or and FS trimmer, you can swap heads out, just requires tools.

The KM models, swap out mid-shaft and require no tools.
  5. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll try to answer some of your questions, but there is a lot of info if you run a search.

I have a stihl fc85 straight shaft stick edger. I have never had it clog on me. I think the straight shafts are a lot better. No power loss, easier to maneuver. Engine will start in 1 pull if it is warm. Usually takes me 3-4 when cold though. Not a big deal IMO. I really like the design of the head on this thing. No clogs and the huge rubber flap keeps debris off of the operator, really works well.

I started using a different 2-cycle oil. I was using stihl oil at 50:1, but towards the end of the season I switched over to "Opti-2". I forget what the mix ratio is, but it is supposed to work for all two cycle engines. I found that it reduces smoke and my equipment runs a lot better off of it. You can also use synthetic oil such as amsoil.

I'm not a big fan of the multi-tools, but I know a lot of people use em. I guess they are nice if your a one-person operation.

I can't edge with a trimmer. I know a lot of guys can, but I've never mastered it. I leave a much cleaner edge with the edger. Also, can't use a trimmer to edge overgrown planting beds.
  6. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto to what GLS said. I have the FC 75 and have had no problem with it. It's hard for me to cut a clean edge with a weedeater, and it wears me out quicker. I also prefer the stick edger over the three wheeled Briggs and Stratton engine type.

If you set the blade to deep where it's digging down into the dirt, you can build up crud between the blade and guard if the soil is wet. But all you have to do is to stop briefly and flick the mud out with your finger.

And, most 2 stroke engines have fire screens over their exhaust outlets, and these screens typically over time clog up with black carbon. If the screen is clogged, just like in a backpack blower, the engine just will not have any power. On the Stihl, all you have to do is to pull the fire screen out with pliers and clean it - I run a butane torch over it for a few seconds and that burns the crud off.

By the way, there is a line trimmer that also doubles as an edger. I think it's called an Edge-it or something like that. Instead of a guard, it has a narrow disc over the head of the edger that turns on the ground when you flip the line trimmer over sideways. Very handy, but still a line trimmer.
  7. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I"ve heard of the Edgit. i actually saw it on an infomercial. do a search if you're interested. there was a lot of discussion on it awhile back.
  8. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

I'm getting a stick edger this winter, soon. But I have been using an old Mclane push edger I got for free and fixed. After the initial edge is set, it is typically easy to edge by flipping your trimmer over and doing it like that. Works well for me.
    Maybe the stick edger will be different. I'll see and I might use it exclusively.
  9. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

the problem with using a multi-tool like that is you can't lock them up on the trimmer rack...all you hafta do is disconnect the split-shaft and it's gone...5 seconds...:waving:
  10. energy

energy LawnSite Member

I did what glenjr10 recommended. My edger is a multipurpose tool, but it never saw use besides edging. I was planning to get a hedge clipper attachment for it and will be shortly. They will come very handy one day when you decide to upgrade services. Each individual tool cost money, why not have one power unit to do all the work? Less stuff to drag around the better, but definetly have a seperate trimmer.