1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stick Edger?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Aug 2, 2004.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Okay...I'll admit. I don't and never have used one. So, is it just an edger attachment (or stand alone) like a weed whacker set up? Thinking about getting one next year.
  2. martinstone

martinstone LawnSite Member

Yes, a definite "must haveĀ”!
  3. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

This is my STIHL FC 110 Stick Edger. I can put different attachments on it like a trimmer head, chain saw.sweeper or a hedge trimmer witch is what I have. If you go to stihl.com you can check it out a little better. If you have anymore questions ask away i'll help as best i can.

4. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Thanks guys...
    Now, how effective is it? Do you use all the time, or just when needed?
  5. bladeheart

bladeheart LawnSite Member

I have the stihl fs85 and I use it a lot. I started out hating it though, a steep learning curve, however it has saved a lot of time over the long haul.
  6. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I use mine all the time. I personally think it makes a big impression on the customer & the neighbors. I also like the look of an edge done with a steel blade rather than trimmer line.
  7. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

I agree.

I have the Stihl KM-85. I use the edger every week on each lawn. I can edge as fast as I walk. Blades are about $2 from my Stihl dealer. I also have the line trimmer, hedge trimmer, and chainsaw attachments.
  8. Geoffrey

Geoffrey LawnSite Member

How long do the steel blades last? What are the cost over the course of the season? I just recently used one for the first time and like bladeheart I wasn't very good. I can really see the difference between the edger and trimmer.
  9. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

We use Stihl FC85 s every cut.
    It makes properties look professional.
    They work great and the blades last anywhere from 2 days to a week depending on what you edge
  10. fc11o sthil ..use it everyweek ..like somebody said you edge as fast as you can walk ..sthil has tons of power