stick edgers around beds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jdwilliams1, Mar 9, 2002.

1. jdwilliams1

jdwilliams1 LawnSite Member

for those that cannot afford the $2000 brown mnfg edger. I used a walk behind edger on a few mulch jobs last year and it work pretty good(made it faster anyway and made it look sharper). anyhow, do any of you ise a stick edger to create an edge for mulch beds, if so how does it work.

I am talking about existing beds, not creating new ones.
    thanks

2. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Stihl stick edger and it is a great tool, but if you have a bed that needs a renovation or the edge is gone completely, the stick edger is not the tool of choice, although I have had to make due on occassions. You may want to check out the Turfco Edgerite for $1,200 brand new. It will be strenuous if you use in clay hardpan but a no unit will run smoothly in hard or rocky soil. I own one and I do not regret the purchase. If you could find one used it would be great but there aren't many on the market.

3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Osc,

As I have stated before in other posts re: bed edgers, an economical "bed-edger" would be a mantis tiller. Remove one side of tilling tines and replace w/ the wheel from the edger kit. First pass, pull unit toward you keeping unit upright. Second pass, tilt unit to throw debris into bed. Then use a 7000 blower to blow debris from trench and fan out rest in bed prior to mulching.

It involves a little more work than a machine specifcally designed for this task, but costs ahelluva lot less one too. Besides, you'll undoubtedly find other uses for this machine - light tilling, turning/fluffing mulch, etc..

Bob

4. Wayne Offiler

Wayne Offiler LawnSite Member

I, too have had pretty good success using my walk-behind, 4 wheel edger. Real fast on straight runs. Also good on gentle curves. (do tight turns with extra deep half-moon edging tool). I modified my edger to cut deeper and better on turns. Moved the deflecter to accomodate the special blade I made. The blade is 10" long and goes over 4" into the ground. Also, it is made of 1/4x1" steel, one side sharpened. Its narrowness allows sharp cutting in tighter turns. The strip I cut comes out in no time with a long, narrow trenching shovel.
    I have a lot of edging work coming up. Anyone else have suggestions to make it go faster?