1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stick edgers. Question for those who have used both flex and straights

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Keith, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I have been using stick edgers almost since they first came out. I have had three or four PE2400's, a Stihl back in 93 or so, a Maruyama, and most recently four Shindaiwa LE260's. What I have now has seen better days, and I am not going to sink a bunch of money into old equipment to keep it going.

Anyway, I loved the Shindaiwa stuff. I still use 4 T230's, couple EB630's and the remaining LE260's. I am not real sure about the "1" series stuff with the catalytic converters, but most of all Shindaiwa is not terribly well represented around here anymore. I have exactly one piece of Redmax equipment, a little BC225DL, but I am thinking about trying a Redmax edger. I know they make both straight and flex shaft with the curved tube. The flex shaft is what I am use to. I have been using them for almost 15 years and never had a problem. I hear great things about the HEZ2500Straight though.

For those who have used both, how hard is it to get used to the straight shaft after using a flex, since you are kind of holding them differently? I have never had a single problem with the flex type, so it's not like it is a durability issue for me. It looks like the straight weighs a good 2 + pounds more than the flex. I take it that is really not a huge issue? Also, what is the difference in price of the two?
  2. vanguard

vanguard LawnSite Member

Good question,
    I'm also in the market and would be interested and what you folks think :confused:
  3. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

We have a straight shaft Redmax HEZ2500 for our use and sometimes get to use an older Stihl curved shaft stick edger when helping a relative who has a large corner property with much concrete edging. The Redmax straight has a J handle versus a D loop handle on the curved shaft Stihl. Whenever I use the curved shaft it seems akward and harder to keep in the established cut. I think much of the difference is that the straight shaft is what we are used to so it seems normal. The other difference is the J handle gives you more control to keep inside blade tip just touching the concrete. I like the J handle as my two hands are further apart. We adjust the front wheel so the right hand hold point/throttle is at down extended arm position. My left hand holds the J handle not at grip location on top but at outside arc and is used to keep the blade just touching the concrete so we do not open up the edge width each week. We edge as fast as we can walk with great results. Stihl and Redmax both had straight shaft models available at one of our local dealers. Either brand looked good and the Stratocharged or 4 mix engines seem to work well in our area. We chose the Redmax as it was IIRC 40 dollars less and we liked the grease zerk at the blade bevel gear on it.

Good luck with your choice

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i have the redmax straight shaft and it dosnt edge as cleanly as the curved shaft models i have had. its also heaver too . its not worth the extra $ in my opinion and i wouldnt buy another. hard to beat the shindawia but avoid the "1" models. they lack power like the older models.
  5. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

The straight shaft will also throw more debris back to you as you are directly behind it.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I guess that I am a little confused on "flex" shaft. Are you talking about curved shaft?
  7. vanguard

vanguard LawnSite Member

Yup :waving:
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Ah, ok. I just have never heard it called a flex shaft before. I thought that maybe I missed something that was new on the market
  9. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Ray, I'm a little confused by what you said. I have a STIHL FC110 and have never had what you described happen to me.

As far as curved vs straight I like the FC110 I have but would defiantly try out a red max. It seems more natural to use a straight shaft edger because of the straight shaft trimmers we use wouldn't you guys agree? FYI I have used a curved shaft machine before but as I said I'd much rather use a straight shaft machine as I feel the line of sight on the straight shaft is better. You can see the blade at all times.

10. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I had that Stihl too (took it back after 1 week -- TOO HEAVY) and it often threw debris back towards me, or at least I would walk into it. When you're off the side it's not such a problem.