Stick edgers: straight or curved shaft?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tider6972, May 27, 2004.

?

straight or curved shaft edger ?

1. straight shaft

13 vote(s)
    54.2%
  2. curved shaft

11 vote(s)
    45.8%
  1. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

If you have used both, which do you prefer?

What are the pros and cons of each?

2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one of each , Both are Stihl. I find that the curved shaft is easier to use. The straight shaft one is harder to keep on a straight line along the curb. Or at least for me.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have only used a straight shaft edger and also a walk behind push edger. Hands down the straight shaft edger, but I wish that they would do a different type of design for it.

4. Tider6972

from Alabama

thanks, guys !

Aanyone else?

5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

straight shaft, solid shaft drive vs cable drive on a curved shaft, gets more power to the blade, on stihl's anyway.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have a curved shaft Stihl edger and it's the last one I'll own. Aside from the extreme cold naturedness of the engine the curved shaft is difficult to get along with. It always wants to fall over on it's side and it's inconvenient to carry.

7. Tider6972

from Alabama

I know you use the Stihl FS85, have you also used any curved shaft? If so, your thoughts ?

TIA

8. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

My straight shaft edger is super simple to use. Once a lawn has been edged for the first time, I just set the edger down and let it walk its self along, I can really move with it. Im still trying to figure out why guys around here still do it with their weed eaters, it takes longer and does not even come close to my edger. I use my wee eater in some places, becasue the way the grass meets the concrete, but that a minority of the time.

9. Tider6972

from Alabama

:eek: ...more opinions, please, 'specially if you have used both types of edgers.

Thanks !