Stick edgers & trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sir Mow-A-Lot, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Sir Mow-A-Lot

Sir Mow-A-Lot LawnSite Member

I'm in the market for a new trimmer and edger. Are those combo deals w/ the interchangeable heads worth their salt? Or is better to go with individual machines for each task. I'm leaning towards Red Max - any other recommendations? :cool2:

2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't have any experience with the interchangeables myself, but I can only guess, from a monetary standpoint, that this system is more cost effective. However, you must consider the extra hours of use that you will be putting on one engine,since it is being used for multiple tasks.

3. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

I started out with the interchangable kind but was so glad when I finally bought seperate tools. Its time consuming and messy (grease) to change at every lawn.
    Another downside is on the interchangable, if it breaksdown you are out of both pieces of equipment.
    Spend the extra $$ and buy individaul machines.

4. HisMoney

HisMoney LawnSite Member

I have both, the single units and the power-head with attachments. I got the trimmer, edger as single units. My power-head comes with 2 attachments (hedge trimmer & tree pruner).

Consider this..........the time it will take you on the job to switch from one attachment (Trimmer)to the other (edger), if that is the only unit you have.

I would recommend the single units.
    The power-head w/attachments maybe cost effective up front, yet will cost you time and money in long run. payup

Hope that helps! :cool2:

5. Sir Mow-A-Lot

Sir Mow-A-Lot LawnSite Member

thanks for the advice. Do you have any manufacturer/model # recommendations?

6. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I used both. The changables we basically extras. I had several jobs that had a lot of trimming and a a couple with a lot of edging. The changable was handy if we needed an extra guy trimming or edging. Didn't have to buy an extra stick edger for only a few jobs just the attachement.

7. gocards

gocards LawnSite Member

I would definately get seperate tools. You need different engines for each piece of equipment. Plus, when you get a lot of work you'll get tired of having to change attachments at every job. Stihl equipment lasts forever. Kawasaki has the lightest piece of equipment you can find. Shindaiwa is the smoothest running and almost no vibration on their trimmers.

8. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Stihl fc-75 for a edger however needs more power. Get a fc-85 or better yet get the fc-110.
    I use Echo srm-230 for my trimmer. Really like it. Best advice is to get more than enough power for the work you will be doing. If I used my trimmer for heavy clearing I would definetly need a more powerful unit but for maintaining weekly lawns, its all I need.

9. MowmoneyMowproblems

MowmoneyMowproblems LawnSite Member

I think that you should buy seperate peices of equipment. In the long run it might be a problem if it breaks and then you have 2 broken pieces of equipment. :blob3:

10. HisMoney

HisMoney LawnSite Member

I have all Shindaiwa 2cyles;
    T-231 Trimmers
    LE-261 Edgers

The power-head I have is the M-231 w/ the hedge-trimmer attachment and the tree pruner attachment.

Great equipment in my opinion. :cool:

Take Care