1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stick edgers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Jul 27, 2005.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

How are these little 2 cycle monsters? I talked to a guy who had all shindaiwa equipment and had a stick edger. He loved it. I'm thinking of getting a redmax because I love my bcz2600s trimmer but it eats the string. Is it worth it over the trimmer for edging?
  2. LALawnboy

LALawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

i think they're worth the investment. ever since i started cutting grass i've used a line trimmer to edge and got pretty darn good with it. however, i was starting to get more tired holding that trimmer upright when i had a lot of edging to do and when you're edging with a trimmer when you're tired, you're bound for a few nicks in the grass that are not gonna leave a straight line. last week i went out and bought an echo pe 200 edger (wanted the 260 but couldnt afford such a big purchase right now. i know the smaller echo gets knocked a lot on here but i honestly haven't seen anything around here that bogs it down and i can honestly run with the thing. and i know it can get through some thick stuff because i went through an overgrown edge the other day that had come over the sidewalk at the least 6 inches and it went right through that crap and left a perfectly straight edge. so to sum this long freakin post up, i was originally a person who swore by edging with the line trimmer and now i swear by using a dedicated stick edger. the main thing is it has saved me time on lawns and time is money in this business and you ALWAYS get a straight line.

3. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

You got that right. I'm looking at redmax though because of their great technology and power. The one I want has 25 ccs. How much does the echo have? Let me guess. Home depot.
  4. LALawnboy

LALawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

LMAO, you're right. i hate to buy equipment there but it was about 8:00 the other night and i ran over to the Depot to buy some line for my trimmer and i sat there looking at the thing for about 20 minutes deciding whether i wanted to get it. anything else i will definitely buy at my dealer (especially the pe 260 down the road). but the way i figured it, i would try out the stick edger to see if i liked it, and if i didn't, i could easily return it to Home Depot. Pauli's wouldn't take it back that easily if it had been used. So yea, you got me on that one. But to answer your question, it has the 21.2 cc engine. I know it's small, but like i said, i haven't come over anything it won't power through and it does a pretty good job on gas usage. later on, i will definitely purchase the bigger engines just bc i plan on getting more yards it'll be getting more use than the 200. plus, i'll just use the 200 as a backup then.
  5. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a Shindaiwa LE261 Edger earlier this year. It starts very well and is definitley commercial quality. It seems to do a very good job and I am very pleased with it. I paid $380.00 plus tax. Get a Shindaiwa!
  6. 128Steve

128Steve LawnSite Member

On ebay right now are Tanaka stick edgers. For $ 200.00 you get a 26 cc engine, one heck of a good edger.

Good on gas and power to spare. Easily adjustable wheel, I just can't say enough about mine. Others may be good as well, but at this price, why go elsewhere?
  7. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I got the echo edger and its a screamer. Only prob you have with stick VS WB edgers is sometimes if its slightly damp the shrouds will clog up a bit with dirt. I use the WB on bad new edges to break em and use the stick for my regular maint. I wouldnt buy at home depot just because trying to get service later may be a hassel. Support your local dealer if you want him to be around to support you later.
  8. CutNLawns

CutNLawns LawnSite Member

I have the Redmax HEZ2500S and use it all the time. Edge as fast as you can walk and really cleans up the edges of the mulch beds too. It is a extra tool you have to get out of the truck but I still think it adds just that little extra detail. Go for it....its only money!
  9. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Like LALawnboy mentioned, I grew tired of holding the trimmer upright to edge so earlier this year I bought a Redmax 2500...Now I wonder what the heck was I thinking using the trimmer for edges??

That Redmax is a beast! I can only imagine what the trimmer is like.
  10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i know some guys are really good with there trimmers, that said, i think a stick edger leaves such a more professional look.....