STICK EDGERS

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PetalsandPines, Mar 28, 2001.

1. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

How about a forum on rating stick edgers? I am curious at how the Shindaiwa/husquvarna & Honda stack up! I just pitched my last Echo Edger...Big bulky unit that self destructs!! Any Comments?

2. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I had a Shin, it got stolen. At the time I didn't have a lot of money to blow cause we were headed to Norway to visit wifes family. I decided to get the echo since all my yards were already defined. This was a mistake. ECHO HAS NO BEANS!!! It is junk but will have to work for now. I do plan on getting another shin. I did a lot of jobs on the side for those neighbors who do not edge. This stuff would be hanging about 6 inches onto the side walk on either side. The shin would ease right through it, the echo gets bogged down and sometimes stops. I HATE IT!!! LOL

3. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

Do you remember what size the Shin was? It seems that they produce smaller units, yet are they more powerful??

4. turfguy33

turfguy33 LawnSite Member

I was considering buying a shindaiwa stick edger or a Kawisaki stick edger, but I ran across an attachment for a trimmer. It's called a "Edgit". It's a big disc that acts like a guide. The string still does the work, but now I can make perfect vertical edges alon sidewalks and drives. When you have the string rotating, I noticed that there is a sort of vacuum caused by the disc. Now it seems like the trimmer can trim, a clean cut like a mower. which is really nice. Now I can trim and edge without going back to the truck for more equipment...go to http://www.edgit.com

5. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I had the LE-230 It was a hoss, a little heavy but had the beans!!! That disc thing has been around for some time. The only problem with it is those yards that have not been edged in a year or those customers that only want work done seasonally, quit in the late fall and they call you for that first time clean up in late spring. I am sure it would work well on my year around customers but I have blown out enough glass with the weedeater. I will just stick with the stick edgers. The Le-230 was my first and I was not really excited about spending the money on it but when I used it for the first time and didn't get popped in the nose with a piece of debris I was happy. Not that I actually cried but I got nailed several times and it would make my eyes water. Those days are long over and I do not want them back!!

6. Hardy Enterprises

Hardy Enterprises LawnSite Member

I have a Shindaiwa LE260. I havn't had it long but so far I am very impressed with it.

Jay

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I just purchased the Stihl FC 85 with the solid shaft. I'm anxious to see how it works. It sounds as if you must have had the smaller power unit from Echo. Everyone else said they are pretty powerful. I DID get the powersweep attachment for the FC 85, and that works GREAT. I was able to sweep all the gravel (and that was alot) out of my ditch, my neighbors, our rental, and my aunts house in about an hour - and that was clean!

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I got my Stihl FC85 also. Used it the other day and it did a great job. So far, I'm impressed with my investment.

9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I also bought a Stihl FC85 a couple of weeks ago. I've used it on serveral jobs so far, and it works fine. All tasks so far are bed edges in preparation for mulch. The soil is very damp, so power is no problem. In some cases, I'm freshening up an edge I made last year, sometimes cutting a new one. In all cases, I return with a half-moon edger to make the cut final, making it deeper and getting the edged debris into the bed, or into the wheelbarrow.

I'm hoping to use it periodically during the mowing season to cut off the grass that grows over the edge. Previously, I used my string trimmer, turned 90 degrees to "back trim" that material. I'm hoping the edger will do a job that shows better results.

I have a Stihl hand blower and hedge trimmer, and was very satisfied with them. Also I heard good things about FC85 in other places in the Forum.

10. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

I would love to buy an edger as I edge approx 15000 lf of sidewalk but the landscaper installed the sprinkler heads against the edge of the sidewalk on both sides so I am stuck having to use the trimmer turned on edge! This makes it a pain in the ash to edge even with the string because after hitting a sprinkler head so many times it roughs up the top and sticks shut! Anyone else have this problem?

Peace!