Stick Edgers

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Mack77, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Mack77

Mack77 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I've been debating whether or not to purchace a stick edger. I know they work wonders around sidewalks and driveways, but can they also edge beds? Every spring I edge the beds by hand, they come out great, but it's extremely labor intensive and time consuming! (Especially when you have customers with hundreds of feet of landscape beds to edge)

My question is: For those who have stick edgers, do you use them for bed edging, or are they simply used around sidewalks and drives?

2. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

We use a bed edger for that. picking a new one up this week Broen mfg 991H trenchmaster bed edger does 10-30 feet per min so they claim. Stick edgers are best eay for edginf siedewalks easy to handle and fast but a push edger like a McClane is always good for those overgrown sidewalks the stick edgers cant do them well at all(not enough power)
  3. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I just bought another Stick Edger last week and they do work great on drives,& sidewalks.But in the spring we will use the walk behind edger with a little more power if its over grown.As far as edging beds with it I will run it around the bed IF the bed all ready has a good edge on it.But to put a nice edge around a bed you need a regular BED EDGER or a shovel.
  4. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't find any good stick edgers around here not even in the stores that sell commercial equipment. I tried to buy one and the guy tried to sell me a rototiller.

Any particular makes or models? I want mid range equipment. Echo etc.
  5. Mack77

Mack77 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

That Brown Bed edger would definatally get the job done! Wow, thats some machine. I would not be doing anything that large of a scale to need a piece of equipment like that.

The beds that I will be edging are already exhisting. The edge just needs to be cleaned up. The perimiter of the bed is edged each spring, and this year is no different. The beds need to be re-edged again this season, so in this case, would a stick edger be a useful tool? Or is a stick edger just not used in this type of application.
  6. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

that machine does redefining also and they make a smaller version 200-300 less. Im just not the type to do all that handwork lol. im told this does in a minutes waht take 2 guys all day to do. i have 150 homes to landscape that require bededging so thats why i bought, but now i can talk my customers into getting rid of thier black diamond edging and into natural borders instead plus i can redefine my customers existing beds like you are doing. like you said its very labor intensive and time consuming, brown claims this redefines existing beds 1800 feet per hour lol , Do the math. i hear they charge .85-1.25 per foot. nice addition to the work force. Look into renting for a day or a weekend
  7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

we have a Cub Cadet stick edger and works great!!
  8. LawnSite Member

I got a stick edger for the shindiawa multi tool
    I dont use it much.. thought I would but I just do 90's with the string instead its much faster. Id get a gas walkind edger for the power to do more.