Stick Edgers

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by mulchmaster, Apr 4, 2007.

1. mulchmaster

mulchmaster LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Up untill now I have done almost all my bed edging with a spade. Once in a while on a big job I will rent a gas bed edger, but not normally. My question is has anyone used a redmax bed edger before? If so what were the pros and cons? I think this would help alot but don't know if they are worth it.

Thanks Andrew

2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Well, probably the reason you haven't gotten any responses was this was posted in the wrong forum. Should be in the commercial lawn mowing or maintenance forum. You might ask a moderator to move it for you....

Second reason is the title. It suggests that you are talking about stick edgers. But your post is regarding bed edgers, which are different. At least that's what you said - bed edger. Are you talking about the ones that look like this:

http://images.google.com/imgres?img.../images?q=bedshaper&gbv=2&svnum=10&hl=en&sa=G

???

Those aren't stick edgers. These are stick edgers:

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductC...rimmers_blowers_saws/XT120SE_0020571_2col.jpg

Anyway, I haven't used one. The bed edgers cost a good $2,000 or more and I have never wanted to invest that much for something that will only save us an hour or two of work on occasion. If there was a company locally who rented them, we'd probably rent them several times each year. But they aren't available for rent locally. So I don't have any experience with them. They look very nice though. I bet the save a lot of time. It's just that we aren't creating new edges like that very often. So it isn't worth it for me to purchase one.

If you're referring to stick edgers, sure. Everyone uses those. They're great. If you are in the landscape industry and don't own one already, you need to. RedMax is a good brand. All of the high end commercial brands will serve you well. Redmax, Echo, Stihl, Shindaiwa, Huskavarna, etc.

3. mulchmaster

mulchmaster LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Sorry, oscolating head is what I ment. I used one last year (redmax) for a minute and loved it. The shop owner said they were used to edge beds and I wandered what everyone else thought about them.

Aside from a spade how does everyone edge beds?

Thanks Andrew

4. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I own both, a sidewinder from turfteq, and a stick edger (the 4 stroke Stihl). You cannot open a bed up with a stick edger, but you can maintain what is there, and sure it will cut a little, but I LOVE my sidewinder, it ran me 4000 bucks, and I have made close to half that back already, and it is just so FRICKIN FUN!!! I cannot stand to use a spade, so life is good. It saves you more than a few hours, it can do in 15 minutes what would take you all day.