Stick edgers ?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnpro2210, Feb 9, 2008.

1. lawnpro2210

lawnpro2210 LawnSite Member

I am fairly new to mowing lawns and was wondering how well those stick edgers work that go on the end of your trimmer.I was thinking about buying a edger like a 4hp or so but then saw a attachment i could buy for my trimmer but i have a crapsman trimmer and was just wondering if it would have enough power.I see that a lot of you have them from the picture forum and just thought i would ask.Thanks Mike
  2. Wilson Edge

Wilson Edge LawnSite Member

hey man first of all I have found that the best way to do it is to have seperate equipment for the job. Say you have a guy who is weed wacking and the other guy is done and needs to cant go with the attachments. also you need to go with a comercial brand trimmer/edger like a echo or stihl. you are on the right track for a stick edger though...i have a push edger that works fine but i cant do the curbs or other stuff like that. Stick edgers are faster but walk behinds work better if you have allot of over growth in the area that needs to be edged. So talk to your local dealer to see which one is the best for you. If you only going to be a one man show for the next 3-4 years then go with the attachments. Hope this helped
  3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

get a real weedeater!
  4. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

stick edgers don't work very well if soil is moist it clogs up. we use a stihl yard boss with only using the edger attachment. you can also use a trimmer head that will trim and also edge. like betterheads you can fine them at
  5. DFLS

DFLS LawnSite Senior Member

You could learn how to edge with a string trimmer.
  6. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a push edger the first time, then the stick edger to maintain. The rest of your equipment is commercial, so don't invest any money in a trimmer, that was not built to take the use, or hours you will be doing. Time to invest in a commercial trimmer, maybe one with the split shaft.

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

I personally love my echo PE-230 stick edger and I dont know if I could live without it.
  8. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Shindiawa and after you learn how to use it, it is fantastic.
  9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Buy a good dedicated edger, stick edgers just don't have the power to do much except maintain an already cut edge. We edge in spring and maintain with trimmer rest of mowing season, works for us and customers are happy.
  10. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

IMHO, you can NOT get the same look from a string trimmer than you can a stick edger.

Anyway, I would definately try and get a dedicated stick edger. You will find that it really seperates you from the competition...give the lawn a professional look. A stick edger will be fine provided you keep up with it and don't let it go for weeks on end.