stick edgers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bladewielder, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Bladewielder

Bladewielder LawnSite Member

I hope you guys can clue me into something I'm a little ignorant about. I'm wondering about stick edgers. So far I have only used my Stihl FS80 straight-shaft trimmer to edge with. I have gathered from past discussions that "sticks" must be worth their weight in gold. While edging along concrete is it a danger to hit it with the blade? What about a yard that has never been edged? Is there a depth adjustment? Can they edge along buried vinyl around a flower bed? What about those discs that mount on string trimmers that allegedly let you easily see exactly where the string is? Does anyone used one of these?

2. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel it's one of those equipment purchases you will wonder how you did without, I know I do. I was never very good at edging with a trimmer, some guys are, I not, so an edger is for me. I hit the concrete all the time with mine and never felt it was a danger. Make sure you get a strong one to handle neglected edges in case you run into one. I have heard of guys using a w/b edger for this. Once you get the edge it's easy to maintain. Yes, the wheel is your height adjustment. I edge along buried vinyl with mine. As far as the disc you speak of (Edgit, I think it's called) I can't say cause I've never used one, but I think some guys here have. As far as what brand to buy I say do a search and demo. Good luck.

3. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, also the angle of the edger determines your height...

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

if you decided to get a stick edger, consider a split shaft model. i have an echo split shaft model that serves as my edger, line trimmer and a power broom. I work solo, this really solves my problem instead of having to buy seperate equipment for each use.

5. GREENMANAGEMENT

GREENMANAGEMENT LawnSite Member

I RECOMMEND THE STIHL FS85 SPLIT BOOM. VERY TOUGH MACHINE. I RECENTLY BOUGHT THE EDGER ATTACHMENT. I DON'T REALLY CARE FOR IT. IT IS GREAT FOR OVERGROWN EDGES. ONCE YOU USE THE EDGER TO CUT THE NEW EDGE THEN MAINTAIN IT WITH THE TRIMMER. GOOD LUCK.:blob3:

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I disagree with buying split shafts. Think about this. When you put it on the trimmer rack and lock it down, what does it take to steal it? ......... Release the handle and pull each end right out of the rack. There goes your money and a piece of equipment you use to make a living. Yes in theory they are great, but in real life where things are stolen its only a matter of time before the thief figures it out.

7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

If your unsure that it will do ...... rent one .... check it out ..... then you'll feel more comfortable with the decision ..... the wb type with more hp will be better on sidewalks that have never been edged ....

a single shaft will be more flexiable in useage in beds & still have the nuts to edge walkways .... the little wonder shown is a neat set-up .... I've never used one but have really thought of getting one for a 1 mile strip we do

I don't like split shafts .... as in the long one that single engine is doing alot of work .... n when in the shop so is everything else it does

[​IMG]

8. SUNSHINE LAWN

SUNSHINE LAWN LawnSite Member

The stick edgers are great when you have a lot of edgeing to do especially around concrete sidewalks and such. They are much easier on my back and arms throughout the day because you do not have to hold them above the ground like a string trimmer. If it is a small job I will just use a string trimmer to save two trips to the trailer. I recommend getting one for the ease of operation when doing a lot of edgeing.

9. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

I also use the Stihl straight shaft stick edger. This model has more power than the Echo 2400 I had been using, and the guard was redesigned to eliminate clogging with dirt/mud. I don't know how I got along without a stick edger.

I agree with 65hoss and theleven when it comes to split shafts. I would not own one for the same reasons they stated, as well as the fact that it takes time to constantly swap attachments all day. I handle alot of accounts each day, and time is money.

10. Bladewielder

Bladewielder LawnSite Member

Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate your input. I'll take everything into consideration the next time I'm at my dealer.