Stick edgers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HarryD, Jun 18, 2002.

1. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

who uses them . are they worth a **** and which ones are the best

thinking of getting one or a large walk behind type not sure which way to go

2. I have both.

Stick edger is fine for doing not too high(cememt level). I have this machine due to limited space on my truck. The walk behind, I use 2 to three times a year on those high lawns I take care. I don't carry either machine unless I'm going to re-define an edge. I edge lawns faster using a line trimmer.

John

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

New Stihl is great.

4. CooperLawncare

CooperLawncare LawnSite Member

I just bought a new tanaka and learned they only work worth a **** if the soil is fairly dry. But i think applies to all stick edgers. Otherwise i bum dads big 3hp Craftsman, it works good on big runs.

Dustin

5. ilovethisgame

ilovethisgame LawnSite Member

I still prefer edging w/ the line trimmer. I bought a power trim w/ a 3.5 b&s it works great on lawns that haven't be maintained & bed edging although there's a big learning curve w/ it.

-Dave

6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I found they work faster and leave a better edge on sidewalks. Everything else I use a trimmer.
    Pete

7. JasperStorm

JasperStorm LawnSite Member
    from WA

Each type of edger has its advantages.

A stick edger is more maneuverable around curves, you can carry it in one hand to get from one area to another (try pushing a Power Trim up a steep grass hillside), and you can go from sidewalks to curbs without making any adjustments.

A push edger, with it's more powerful engine, will make a cleaner cut than a stick edger (although the difference is not noticed by most). Overgrown sidewalks that would bog down most stick edgers can be cut with a push edger.

I use one of each. Echo stick edger, Power Trim w/ Honda engine. Crafstman/B&S aren't generally suited to heavy duty use, although they are fine for the part timer.

8. cowman66

cowman66 Banned

The trimmer is the only thing i use:D

9. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

I use an echo PAS 260 split boom. I have the trimmer attachment, edger and hedge trimmer to go with it. This unit works great and has great power. I love the edger attachment it does a great job and is very fast. Best thing is when I leave my truck I can put everything in the tool box, since it is a split boom, and nothing is left out to be stolen. Trimmers and stick edgers grow feet fast around here. Also I always have them with me no matter where I go. Only the mower stays on the trailer.

10. marcusvh

marcusvh LawnSite Member

I had very similar questions when I decided to get into this business. I bought both a walk-behind (McClean) and stick edger (Stihl) on Ebay. To my surprise, I use the walk-behind only on new jobs where the grass is really overgrown. I use the stick edger on EVERY job, as it leaves a much cleaner edge than a string trimmer and is a lot more "mistake" proof. I've seen too many (other people's) jobs where bad string edging leaves a ragged edge with dead spots (not that anyone that subscribes to this forum would do such a thing).

Bottom line - I consider my stick edger to be an essential tool, and use it on every job.