1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stick Edgers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Baytownlawncare, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Baytownlawncare

Baytownlawncare LawnSite Member

So I have an old McLane edger. Found out the other day it has an oil leak. Not sure what I am going to do at this point about repairing it since it is like 7 years old. I am looking at a couple of stick edgers and was wondering if a straight shaft or curved shaft is better. I will be using it mostly for edging around flower beds and sidewalks and drives. I am also a tall so which seems to be better for you guys?
  2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

curved for everyday use and straight for tough jobs
  3. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 LawnSite Senior Member

I've never used a straight shaft, but I can tell ya, I really like my curved shaft edger. I hear that the straight shaft esters spin slower.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Baytownlawncare

Baytownlawncare LawnSite Member

I am starting to think curved now stihl or echo. Leaning toward stihl. Seems like they have more power for the money than the echo do.
  5. mezammit

mezammit LawnSite Member

Curved or straight is really on the user. Being you are taller a straight shaft edger might be a little more comfortable becaude they offer a little more length I think. When I worked for a company we used curved echos and they did a fine job. I personally use all redmax 2 stroke equipment. I am 6'7 and use the straight shaft edger by redmax. Go try a straight and curved shaft edger at your dealer and see what is more comfortable for you.
  6. Robert Pruitt

Robert Pruitt LawnSite Senior Member

I like the curved shaft better because you can see what you are doing.
  7. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Having run stick edgers now for at least ten years I will give you my personal preference and you can do what you want to with that.

As of right now I would recommend a Stihl 4Mix with the curved shaft. These seem to have more torque than the two stroke and have a high blade speed. The straight shafts are good for tuff cutting but the blade speed is less than half that of a curved shaft. If you look at Stihl's web site I think they list the FC90 [curved shaft] with a blade speed around 8500rpm's and list the FC95 [straight shaft] with a blade speed of around 4200rpm's. The higher blade speed seems to make a cleaner edge compared to the straight shafts. I would personally like for someone to make a straight shaft edger with the same blade speed as the curved's but I have yet to find one. I have run Echos, Redmax and Stihl two stroke edgers but none of these has the same torque as the Stihl 4Mix. I still prefer two stroke string trimmers, but for a edger give me the Stihl 4Mix until they make a straight with a high blade speed.

Like I say this is just one mans opinion and that with 1$ will get you a bad cup of coffee, but after you run a stick edger for weekly maintenance on curbs, sidewalks and driveways you will wonder how you ever lived without one.
  8. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

Straight shaft=more torque...and will be easier on tough jobs.
  9. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Just an observation, but, it seems backwards that a curved shaft stick~edger would turn the blade at a higher RPM that a straight shafted stick~edger? Are we talking about gearing at the head perhaps?
  10. Robert Pruitt

Robert Pruitt LawnSite Senior Member

the reason i like the curved is that you have the wheel on the concrete and can see the blade working near the concrete and grass.