Stick trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sdgoes, Apr 25, 2000.

1. sdgoes

sdgoes LawnSite Member

I just got my first stick trimmer and I am having trouble get a handle on how to get good results. I been playing with it before taking it to any jobs.( good thing)I am chipping the concrete or too far from the walk. Its a red max so I paid good money for it. And I really need it on the job. The edger is great, the operator is in trouble. Any helpful hints (other that a guide dog) would be appriecated. ]<br>thanks,<br>Steve

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Is it a trimmer or an edger? If its an edger put the blade right beside the concret and start walking. Keep the blade against the curb or walkway so you can hear it hitting against it. Don't turn it out away from the curb or it will take off. If you hit some tough places and it skips over then just walk backwards with it, it will cut better. Be cautious of things behind you, it will throw rocks and anything else thats in the path.<p>Homer<p>P.S. Keep the thing wide open, don't let it bog down or you will mess it up, I'm speaking from experience!

3. sdgoes

sdgoes LawnSite Member

Oops sorry,its a stick edger.

4. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

Steve,<br>Its basically the same as using an edger.<br>As Homer said run in right against the edge you can tell if it pops out it will bounce on the side walk. The sound is different also. I have found a stick edger to work<br>great after you have an established edge. In the begining of the season you need to edge with a push edger. A stick edger works very well on the outside curb line you don't need a drop wheel edger or to edge awardly.<br>Good Luck,<br>Travis AG& G Lawn Maintenance

5. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, same problems at first. Wouldn't even load it up most of the time. After two or three total hours of use finally learned how to control the darn thing. Now, I wouldn't give it up for the world. Works great on long sidewalks and curbs. I even use mine to define un-edged flower beds and it works great. Just use it and mess up a few times and you will learn quick just as I did.

6. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

Steve <br>Stick edges are great!!! They work well on established edges,curb lines and large scale<br>edging. Its a good idea to start the season with a push edger. Also use the push edger on those new account that haven't been edged yet. The stick edger is a bit tough on those wet days, so you might want to bring a push edger for the extra power. Good Luck and watch you feet!!!LoL<br>Travis AG&G Lawn Maintenance :)

7. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

YOU'VE GOT THE REDMAX WITH THE STRAIGHT SHAFT,IT'LL TAKE SOME GETTIN USED TO.BUT THE POWER IS THERE AND YOU'RE LAWNS WILL START TO LOOK GREAT IN NO TIME.PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT,AND PERFECTION PAYS WELL!<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING

8. john boylan

john boylan LawnSite Member

My experience--leading edge of blade against the concrete gets the &quot;wild hairs&quot; better, trailing edge of blade against concrete defines/widens edge better. YMMV.

9. CGS

CGS LawnSite Member

I also use the straight shaft string trimmer for edging lawns. I get the best results walking backwards on the lawn and trimming against the sidwalk and so the rocks fly away from my face not towards...there will be times that it will get you in your face, but rarely with time. Watch out for home windows and cars.<p>I use it alot when the lawn mower doesnt catch a corner, or the lawn slopes and the mower doesn't get it along the edges, around poles and trees. I like to manacure each lawn by starting to edge the lawns and trim the top of the edges all the way around. It takes longer to do, but they look great every visit.