stick vs. wheeled edger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Squirter, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Squirter

Squirter LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

wanting to earn extra money while school is out doing lawn work. what would be the better choice for edging walks and drives.....stick or wheeled edger??? what are the pro's and cons of each??? which method is quickest? easiest? does the best job?

do i have to spend a ton of money to get a good one?

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have both and rarely do I use my wheeled edger. On heavy, overgrown curbs and sidewalks that haven't been edged in years the wheeled edger's superior torque and horsepower comes in real handy. On regularly edged surfaces the stick edger is faster due to it's light weight and manueverability and is easier to use.

3. Squirter

Squirter LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

thanks for the quick reply. i think the majority of situations i'll encounter when doing the edging is homeowners who have completely neglected edging their walks and drives. seems the wheeled edger would be much easier.

4. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

I only have a walkbehind edger, but what I do is the first cut of the year on every lawn I cut the edges with the walkbehind and every cut after that I just shape the edge back up with the trimmer.

I have wanted a stick edger, but the above seems to work good for me. I got a great deal on a used walkbehind edger and I just don't want to go and throw down another 300+ bucks for something I may not use much. I think it's more efficient due to not having to go back to the trailer to get the edger before or after trimming.

Guess this means there is more than one way to skin a cat.

5. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

I own both and each have there high and low points... Stick is much quicker to use and store. Wheeled is so much better on deep hard over grown stuff. If you have a curved drive it is a little more tricky with a wheeled edger. You must lift up the rear and pull it in order to do them. I find myself and men picking up the hand edger more often than the wheeled. But both are wonderful.