Stick VS. Wheeled Edgers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MLS, Jul 4, 2000.

1. MLS

MLS LawnSite Member

We just added a large commercial site to our business. We have always used stick edgers but we were wondering if the wheeled ones would be faster? This property has approx. 1 mile of edging to be done. any help would be greatly appreciated. Also thanks to Eric for the two blade idea. It is the single best improvement that we have ever seen. Also would a wheeled edger work on curbs?

2. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

I have used both. Pro's and con's:<br>A stick edger works good on both curb side and sidewalks but the edge had to be estabished. Stick edgers don't work to well on wet days. They are very good for large jobs.<br>Wheel edgers are good for starting edges and walks. They are not to good for curb's ware the blades down too much. Unless you have a wheel edger with a drop wheel the stick egder is the way to go for the large commerical job. Good luck Travis AG&G Lawn Maintenance :)

3. lja

lja LawnSite Member

hey guys <p>i use a mcclain wheel edger .... have had no problems on curbs .... and the edge they leave is fantastic <p>rick<br>ricks lawn care

4. dhicks

dhicks Member

I never used a wheel edger. However, I just bought a Shindaiwa Stick Edger and it works great. I did some edging on a customers lawn, and they loved the look and so do I. Matter of fact, one of our neighbors asked if I would do their driveway, too. I hope this helps.<p><p>----------<br>--Disneyland on the Potomac - ICQ [icq]31223414[/icq]<br>www.go-emerald.com

5. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

We use T-230's for our trimming and have always done our edges with them as well. We are skilled-enough with them that we can achieve a &quot;lazer-edge&quot; every time. But, we just took over a new commercial property (condo) where the previous maintenance company had no clue on how to trim. They'd been doing the sidewalk edges at a 45 degree angle for 3 years, and there was no way we'd be able to establish a good vertical edge with our string trimmers. So today we rented a Little Wonder 3-Wheeled edger (with a drop wheel). <p>Not impressed. Had a B&S 3hp engine and was severely underpowered. It took forever and a day, to edge all of the walks. A more powerful engine (as well as sharper blades) would have helped, but I'm curious to try a stick edger now. The Shindaiwa LE-260 might be what we need. Have to admit I've never tried a stick edger before, virtually none of the companies around here use them. <p>Anyhow, bottom line is I wouldn't recommend the Little Wonder, and if other 3-Wheelers are similar I'd sooner consider a stick.<br><p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>www.cutntrim.com

6. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,<p>Not sure if they still make it, but redmax had a awesome three wheel edger.<p>What was so nice about it was it was light and had a diff't cutting system<p>Instead of of a big 4 stroke, like the 3.5 hp briggs or what not, it had a redmax 2 cycle on it, same as there string trimmers.<br>Very light, maneuvable, and worked great for both cutting in new/edging out old beds/and for edging sidewalks.<p>It had a reciprocating blade system on it. I believe redmax still makes the system, but it is now a 'stick' type system attached to one of their trimmers. (they got pics of these at alamia.com)<p>Best way to describe it is like saying it had 2 circular saw blades on it, with much bigger teeth, that rotated opposite of each other.<p>The best thing about it was that it didn't 'throw' hardly any debris around at all. It basically would 'saw' through the ground/grass.<p>I used it for two years while working for another company and will say it was the 'best' edger I have ever used. I used the other types, and they are like pushing a tank around compared to this thing.<p>Pricy as I remember though, around 500 to 600, but I think well worth it.<p>Last time I checked, about a year ago, it was still available. <p>If it was up to me, this would be my choice, no contest! I always wanted to buy one myself, but can't justify it for what I do.<p>steveair

7. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

theres one for sale at turfquip for i beleave 300 bucks. I had never seen one before seing one there. Looks very similar to the tonaka edger..... i use my little wander one for every house in the spring at edge them weekly with the string trimmer. I also use the push edger to slice new edges for new acounts that havent been edged in a while. It has a 3.5 briggs and has never once been underpowerd....

8. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

Hey travis, I live down the street from you in Ocean Township. E-mail me at joe@jmurray.com if you get a chance. thanks

9. Dale

Dale LawnSite Member

We have a coule of wheel edgers left, but my crews prefer the stick edger. We probably do 4 miles a week with stick edgers. Sthil's of course, double bladed, the bigger cube unit works best. <p>----------<br>Dale Wiley<br>Maintenance/Operations Manager

10. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

AGG: RIght on. I have had both units and of different brands. If you are going to get a push one get the tanaka SHAFT driven model. Belts slip and break, shafts dont. (Not yet anyways) it has the drop wheel attachment as well. <p>BUT, i would go for the stick model myself. Just sold my pusher so i can buy another stick. They are WAY more compact. you can hang them on the racks or mount them like fishin poles to the truck (outside). Also, with a stick you take WAY less time when readjusting at a 90 degree corner. Lift and drop vs push, turn, realign and drop. Only a 2-4 second difference, but it adds up. I used to edge for one company for 4 hours a day every day. Stick was THE only way to go. Wish ya luck on your purchase.