Stick with Ultra-Vac or try mulch kit for leaves?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TreffertLawnWrx, Jul 24, 2003.

1. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx LawnSite Senior Member

I know there was a recent thread about getting leaves to the truck but how many of you guys mulch up all of your leaves? if so what kind of setup works best. I currently use the Ultra-Vac with my 52" laser hp, but i think mulching would save alot of unnecessary loading and dumping of leaves (for those of us without city pick-up). Any comments would be great!!

2. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Mulching does work, it depends on mower/mulcher being used as to whether it would be any quicker than your vac system. Also the volume of leaves being dealt with. Other consideration is what customer wants/will accept.

3. I makes no difference on how fast or the amount you move.

What does make a difference is the amount you get paid to do it for.

I can't make the same or even close to the same money mulching leaves as I can using a vac.

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

We do a combination of mulching and pickup with a Toro 44"WB and a Walker.
    Mulching reduces the volume but it takes time. The Walker picks up some of the high spots that the Toro leaves (no pun intended) behind.
    I have tried both bagging all and mulching all, it is a toss up for me. In reality we do have city pickup so the bagged look is what we do. I think Exmark has a dump from the seat option now and that will save time in manually dumping the debris.

Its like LGF and the Rustic Goat said, its what you make on it and what the customer wants. This subject has volumes written on it and becomes quite a discussion come fall. I have been in this biz 8 years and am still learning although I do have some hard lessons behind me. Take care.

5. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

TLC9,
    I will respond to this topic some time next week.

6. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Ideally, A mulching mower out in front of a bagger or vac system is what I am looking for. I mulch year round with my 52 ZHP, but picking up the debris is where I am shopping now. Ran a slow pok rear engine rider/bagger last year, but took to long by myself doing both. Have a helper this year thankfully