sticker or no sticker..........

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by get rich, Jul 31, 2001.

1. get rich

get rich LawnSite Member

someone once told me that when some weeds get stressed they form a wax like cover,and weed control seems to roll right off the leaves and land in the dirt.even when you lower the pressure of the gun.so is a sticker gonna help?and how long is the stuff good for?we've got some at our shop,but its maybe three years old,half used too!! its lesco sticker.well if someone will help me out with any info,mucho grassy-ass,by the way,the weeds are mostly ground ivy,clover,and creepin charlie!!thanks !!!

2. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

A sticker will help, but you'll have a lot harder time killing anything when it is stressed. Especially ground ivy. If it's hot out, 85+, a sticker may do damage to desirable plant material.

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

You have to check with the label of the herbicide that you are spraying.
    Although the thing is written in small print it usually will tell you if and what stickers are compatable with the product.

You can do your own little test in a jar also.

The temperature is also critical as JLC pointed out. I would wait until a cooler time like the fall to be making these apps.

The sticker is a beneficial product to use for the targets you are talking about because of the tendancy for runoff but make sure you use the right herbicide also. Thats a whole other story. Good luck.

4. powerreel

powerreel Banned

I use stickers ( R-11 ) , cause I have to spray on misty days. Summer isn't the window of time to kill weeds, unless you want to hand pull. Spray weeds in spring or fall. Stickers will stretch the square footage of a backpack or other rigs. Read the label twice, two days apart. ;)

5. get rich

get rich LawnSite Member

:cry: HONESTLY ALOT OF HOME OWNERS WON'T WAIT AROUND UNTIL FALL TO SPRAY THE WEEDS,ALTHOUGH I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ALL ARE SAYING.I ALWAYS ONLY SPRAY ON COOLER DAYS AND LATELY THERE HASN'T BEEN A WHOLE LOT OF THOSE AROUND NORTHERN ILLINOIS,BUT I ONLY SPRAY WHEN THE TEMPS ARE AROUND 80-85,OR I GET OUT REALLY EARLY AND ONLY SPRAY TIL MID MORNING,MAYBE ONE PLACE A DAY. BUT ANYWAYS THANKS FOR THE INFO..........:D

6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I resurrected this old thread thread but it doesn't really tell me what I'm looking for. This time of year I like to refresh my feeble old brain on which chemicals perform best in certain conditions.

Most chemical labels tell you that the product has or does not have, an adjuvant mixed in from the factory. So I'm reading the SPEEDZONE label (like at least 3 times) and unless I'm blind, I dont see anything more than them saying that an adjuvant might impact results but nothing more on whether it has one or that one should be mixed in before spraying. We sub most of our chemical apps so I dont pretend to be an expert in this area but was wondering what some of you "assume" when a certain chemical label does not say much if anything about the need for an adjuvant?? I think this Speedzone is the first one I've seen where it is this vague. I'm guessing that most of you will say that unless they clearly say it has an adjuvant from the factory, assume it does not and add it during mixing. thanks for the input...

7. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

As you probably know Speedzone is an ester based herbicide with carfentrozone added. This is important for two reasons, 1) esters are more efficient at burning through waxy cuticles and cell walls than amines, and 2) carfentrozone speeds the process up. Using a spreader/sticker is not recommended with Speedzone and can actually diminish results. We use sticker on most all of our amine based products as the help with results on a dry day and even more on a wet grass or when rain is expected.

8. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

24d will murder it any time of the year

9. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

thanks guys...
    Cemars...you obviously know your stuff about pesticide formulations and some of what you said I was not aware of...(which is why I sub most of our checmical work..the state exams do not come anywhere close to educating us enough on formulations and why they work the way they do)

We have a property that has a real problem with Star of Bethlehem in spring and SZone did a good job of knocking it down but I'm sure some of it will be back again this spring...thanks again

10. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm by no means an expert on chems or the plant/weeds your talking about but I have had good success with plain old cheap dish washing liquid.

We have a ground cover over here thats taking over everything called Singapore Daisy and I just use a strong dose or round up, a squirt of dish washing liquid (I guess its like a wetting agent) and sometimes a little vinegar. (was told by a chem applicator that the vinegar helps with the ph level of the water)

Give it a go anyway. Cheap as chips!