sticks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stslawncare, May 27, 2002.

1. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

hey guys, well after going on 10 rides on the fire truck because of this thunder storm, i guess its time to get back to lawn care, branches are every where. anyone have any good methods for doing stick removal? u just walk and pick them all up? carry them to trailer, or use a wheel barrel?

2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Scottie,

If there is a large area w/ numerous branches down, it is sometimes easier to drag a 10X12 tarp w/you. It holds a lot of sticks and branches and if you're hauling them, you can easily get into truck this way. WE used to use our 60 gal. carry barrels, but they don't hold enough. A lot of times there is no room for a wheel barrow on truck/trailer - it takes up space, gets in way and is another item to sometimes unnecessarily unload.

Bob

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

unless the blade on the mower is new, I'll run over anything under 1/2" diameter or so. If they are very long I will pick them up though. I know I shouldn't chop stuff this big but I do. I don't have anything to put them on on the mower so I'd have to go back to the trailer and then it seems like I'm just wasting time....:rolleyes:
    So usually if it's too thick or long to chop with the mower I'll move it and then get them when I'm done trimming and I'm looking over the place to see that I didn't miss anything.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'll agree with Bob. About the most profficient way to do it is scan with a tarp. I'll also carry a wide poly rake along to gather areas of small sticks.

5. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

After picking up the large stuff I grab a BP blower or the Lil Wonder. Blow it all to one spot then use the pitchfork to pick it up. Easiest and quickest way I've found.

6. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Leaf rake,and tarp.

Hadn't thought of the BP blower, I'll have to try that. :cool:

7. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

Tarp is good for heavy coated lawns. Lite coated use 55 gal trash can on wheels.