1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

sticky hydro controls on lesco 54" floater

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eupher, Dec 16, 2006.

1. eupher

eupher LawnSite Member

I got a couple 54" lesco floating deck mowers and have been working on getting them set up. The main issue I'm having so far is with the hydro controls. They are a bit sluggish and the little springs really struggle to pull the controls back to neutral when you let go, especially from reverse.

Is anyone else having this issue? Does anyone have any suggestions for a fix? The mechanic at lesco suggested spraying some lube around the linkage for the controls, but that didn't do squat. I'm considering looking for some heavier springs for the controls, but that will require more squeezing power which may get tiresome with extended use.

2. joe7588

joe7588 LawnSite Member

You need to loosen the bolt that goes through the linkage. Either the one up top by the controls or down by the rear of the mower.
  3. eupher

eupher LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply, but I am a little confused. If the bolts you are talking about are where I think they are, then their tightness shouldn't be a factor. The bolt basically holds a ball in place, and the arm of the linkage has a collar that rotates around that ball. There is even a little slop side to side that the collar can wiggle over the ball.

Am I missing something or does anyone else have any ideas? Since both of my mowers have this problem, it seems like it must be pretty common.

Thanks again.
  4. ha305

ha305 LawnSite Member

PB Blaster, its a lubricant like wd40 you an get it at almost any auto parts store. We had the same problem and just sprayed the linkage it took some time but it worked. We dont have lescos though this was on an exmark.
  5. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

If you find a fix, let me know. We've been dealing with this problem for two years. We have learned to "fingertip" the handles back down after turns and going in reverse.............other than that, the Lescos are great machines. The older pumps with the hydro-gears BDP-10L-117P pumps never had this issue really.

SUNSHINESFARM LawnSite Member

Your local Lesco store should be able to get you an additive for the 20w-50 hydro oil. It's a 2 oz. bottle that will make all the difference in the way the pumps respond and return to neutral. I have worked on many Lesco's and this will solve your problem.