Sticky Predicament with local competitor - any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Confront the guy and have a man to man chat with him. Then go from there based on what he says to you. JMO.

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

This thought had crossed my mind. But I think the only thing that would result is a pissing match - I'm not going to knowingly walk into something like that.

3. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

So is the home owner going to let you finish the rest of the program?

4. WenzelOSLLC

WenzelOSLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Report him. That's why they provide contact information for doing so.

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

IDK haven't seen him the last few days. Probably feels bad about it. I would imagine I'll get the remainder of the season but who knows.

6. ConnerM

ConnerM LawnSite Member

I wouldnt talk to him directly chances are he might want to revenge if he gets in trouble. I would just get his lisence and make and model of the vehicle and his name if possible and report him and leave it at that. If your not hurting for buisness to bad and he isnt stealing anymore of your accounts I think it will take awhile but he will either lose his buisness or have to become legit and compete with you directly

7. Cadzilla

Cadzilla LawnSite Senior Member

You're customer changed service. It happens. Move on.

8. jasontimm

jasontimm LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Another thing you have to consider DA, is that our local AG inspec. wont do a dam thing about it if you do turn him in.

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

Do you know the inspector? I met him once when I turned another guy in town in for doing apps unlicensed. He did meet with me to get more info, then went to visit the dingdong and issue a cease and desist. Which I suppose is basically like doing nothing.....

Not sure if I am thinking of the same guy tho.

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

DA

Cease & Desist order is quite common when the Ag Inspector didn't actually catch an illegal application or have proof positive. It is a way of stopping the illegal applications without a long investigation or legal complications. It also sets the individual up for a very heavy fine if they get caught again. I am not saying many blow off the C&D and keep applying, but it sure gives the Ag inspector more teeth the next time he catches them.