1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sticky Situation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by liquidforcedude7, Apr 15, 2006.

1. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

OK I got a call form a neighbor today, she wants me to come and get the leaves out from under her deck, she explains how he current lco took a short cut and tried to hide them under there, and I mean shes right, theres no other way they could have gotten under. But she explained how if I did a good job I would have the mowing job. by the way she acted she has her standards of good fairly low, almost like shes looking for a reason to get rid of her other lco, because...well...she didnt have anything nice to say about him lol. But the catch is her current lco is a very close friend of my family. And ive worked for him a few times and I know personally that his business definately Isnt booming. I know im going to do the leaf job because even if she asked him I know he wouldnt take it, but im kinda skeptical about taking the lawn job. Part of me says "hes slacking, you can do a better job" and then the other goes with something I read from someone on here recently and "what comes around goes around" and I dont want to burn any bridges here. :dizzy: What should I do? :dizzy:
  2. Coreyb

Coreyb LawnSite Member

hey, it's business. she came to you. if you don't take it, someone else will and he will still lose the customer. bid the job accordingly. i never do a job cheap on the customers promise of future work. good luck
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I would warn him and tell him if he does not improve in his quality and stop cutting corners like hiding leaves..then you are going to start accepting his jobs that are being offered to you.Business is business and your giving him fair warning.
  4. liquidforcedude7

from america

I cant decide if thats the best thing to do or not cause then hes going to think im going trying to take his business, when in reality I go out of my way to make sure his accounts do not recieve flyers or estimates... I get the feeling she just doesnt like him, aside from these leaves, the yeard always looks flawless.... last year I went around with him and pointed out my accounts and he doesnt advertize at them either...
  5. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i would do it, but that's just me. if she does not like him, then he won't be cutting there anyway. just my OPINON.
  6. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

If you guys had a mutual agreement to stay off each others properties then I would pass. You could explain the situation to him that she is shopping around and see what he says. How exactly did she get your phone number?
  7. liquidforcedude7

from america

most of my work is word of mouth, I did some work for her neighbor spreading mulch .....or thats the only thing I can figure.....