"Sticky" Subject

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mower_babe, Apr 18, 2005.

1. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

Not new to mowing, but new to chems. Question - can anyone tell me about the chemical added to the tank to make the weed apps "stick" better? Why, what, when, how etc. Help me here - please fill me in. Thanks guys.

2. wally world III

wally world III LawnSite Member

dove disher soap, equal

3. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Lesco spreader/sticker also.

4. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

$22/gal. Supposedly its a soap product (lowers the surface tension).

5. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

guys, what is the ratio? And does it lessen the effect of the weed control?

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Mower Babe

Wished I could help you better, We have a mutual friend that thinks highly of you. I am sure you know who I mean. I am warm season turf so can only give you theory.

Now with out getting too technical, I will try and tell you about Surfactants. These are the additives that help chemicals do a better job. Non Ionic Surfactants are better as a general rule because they do not bond with the other chemicals and cause them to lose effect. There are three terms that I will try and explain about surfactants at this point but there are a ton more that I won't cover.

Sticker, Spreaders, and Penetrates.

Stickers help the chemicals to stay on the leaves and not wash off or drip off before they can be absorbed by the plant.

Spreaders help that drop of chemical to spread across the surface of the leaves so it has more contact with that leaf by breaking surface tension.

Penetrate cause the chemical to be absorbed by the leave.

All of these types of Surfactants help the Herbicide or Insecticide Etc work better. In some cases you can mix at low label rates and get better results with a surfactant than applying at high rate.

Penetrates can in fact turn surface pesticides into systemics. Most Herbicides are Systemic but not all are Systemic. Diquat is one quick ex sample of a surface herbicide that only burns the surfaces that it touches. Roundup is a systemic that trans-locates to the roots. However Roundup works by stopping Photosynthesis and starves the roots. Surfactant do not have to be soaps or fancy chemicals. Of course Dish soap works great. But Ammonium Sulfate a form of Nitrogen at 17 pounds of 21-0-0 per 100 gallons is a great penetrate. a little less than 1/5 of a pound per gallon is all it takes to improve uptake both foliar and from the soil by roots. Any thing applied over 35 gallons per Acre is not longer foliar application.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Oops

I forgot to say about 3/4 oz per gallon of Dish Soap will really work good on herbicides.

8. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Transfilm--trade secret--works great. I am trying dawn next week.

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Turf

That trade secret has only been around over 20 years.

10. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Transfilm is an anti-transpirant. It is not labeled for this use. It is not a good idea for what she is trying to do here. This why you should not believe everything you read on the internet. Just MHO.

Mike