Stihl 021 Oiling Problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wanabe, Mar 16, 2005.

1. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

I have a 021 Stihl Chain saw that is not putting out enough oil. I took it in, the mechanic installed a new sprocket, and some kind of spring/driver. It did not help. I can run 2.5-3 tanks of gas through the saw before I need to refill the oil. Just for kicks, I poured oil on the bar today while it was running and it took a huge load off the motor. I think the pump must be bad. What would you do to it? Thanks
  2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I'd say it's probably just partially clogged up.
  3. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

those saws only use 1 tank of oil to 2 or 3 tanks of gas with a stihl bar and chain if you use any other bar and chain you will not be geting the oil needed to make it work right.stihl uses oilmatic chain and it dont need as much oil as other chain.
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Humm, this is good to hear. I was using my farm boss saw, whatever number that is, yesterday and I noticed the lack of oil on the bar and chain. the tank was half full... I am used to my old craftsman saw that literally sprays oil off the chain if you revv it up and hold the chain close to wood or something you can see oil hitting the wood. I was kinda worried too that it wasn't getting enough, or any oil on my Sthil. I don't use it much so a tank of fuel lasts me 3 or 4 cutting sessions.