Stihl 026 with no spark

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bigbear01, Dec 21, 2004.

1. bigbear01

bigbear01 LawnSite Member
    from ny

I have an 026 that doesn't get used much now cuz I'm in the marine corps. Last time I went home it wouldn't start and come to find out there is no spark. Anyone have this problem before? Could there be corrosion somewhere on it?

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

You may have a bad spark plug. Replace it and see what happens. BTW be sure get the correct plug. If it still doesn't have a spark then the ignition module is bad and will have to replaced.

3. bigbear01

from ny

we used a spark tester and got nothing so it's not the plug. Tried 2 diff. plugs before that. Thanks for the advice!

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

With no spark getting to the plug then the ignition module is definately bad.

5. Mikes Machines

Mikes Machines LawnSite Member

There arent that many parts in the ignition system. The magnets in the flywheel, the module, the coil, and the kill switch. It could still be the module but I would check the kill system first, the module costs money fixing a bad wire on the kill is free.

6. bigbear01

from ny

I was wondering if the parts could have rust on them cuz I left it with my dad and it ended up in his shed and with all that moisture in the air....