Stihl 036 Chainsaw won't start... Advice?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by LyaecS175, May 19, 2008.

1. LyaecS175

LyaecS175 LawnSite Member
    from RST

I have a ~10 year old Stihl 036 saw that I can't get started. It's in great shape and hasnt been run much especially in the past few years (probably the source of the problems). It had been sitting for ~2 years so I drained the old gas, put in fresh 50:1 gas with Stihl oil, put a new plug in, and tried to fire it up.

Choke doesn't seem to matter... won't start at any setting. Pulled the plug out and it's sparking, so I'm assuming its a fuel problem somewhere. There is definitely fuel getting in though, because the plug is wet when I pull it.

Also, it alternates between pulling smoothly when you tug the cord and sorta resisting as if the engine is seized. Can't figure out why it would go back and forth though...

Any advice?
  2. scottr 2006

scottr 2006 LawnSite Member
    from alabama

If you don't think that the 'sorta resisting' is the piston compressing the fuel/air in the cylinder then remove the muffler and look at the piston.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Pull that plug again and with a can of wd-40 lightly spray a squirt or two right into the cylinder, then with the plug removed pull the cord to rotate the engine slowly a few times... You might want to repeat this process a few times to where 4-5 maybe 6 squirts or so get your cylinder wall nicely lubricated.

Then re-install the plug, remove the air filter and ...
    Put on choke.

This has to be done quickly:
    Give the carb a SHORT burst of starting fluid.
    PULL once!
    Set off choke and pull several times.

What happened?
  4. hydro drive

hydro drive LawnSite Member

Sounds Like crude in the Carb

It sits for 2 years you need to clean it. Try shooting carb cleaner in the carb with the air filter off. If it fires (Do not do this more than once.) then tear the carb down and get a rebuild kit and start cleaning. Make sure you get all of the small orifice's open. Moisture and varnish loves to sit in these small areas and the carb needs these to be open to run correctly.
  5. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Yours is relatively new compared to my 041AV.

Anyway, if it's been sitting for 2 years with fuel in it a carb rebuild is practically a must. Good luck on finding parts.

Before that try resetting carburetor screws. 3/4 out-turn for H mixture screw and 1 1/4 for L. It should at least fire.

Also check flywheel key.
  6. CarterKraft

CarterKraft LawnSite Senior Member

back when I was the air cooled tech for a large rental company we would replace cranksaft seals allot on MP and chain saws that were aging.

These seals caused allot of problems that were incorrectly diagnosed. Does anyone ever check for crankcase leaks anymore?
  7. treemonkey

treemonkey LawnSite Member

I know you said the plug was wet....maybe not wet enough. I don't know if this is bad for the rings or not, but I have had success doing this: I mix a bit of 2 cycle gas a tad richer than normal to keep things lubed. Using a paper cup, I pour a small amount of fuel into the spark plug hole and replace the plug. After a few pulls, the engine should fire. Sometimes, this seems to get the beast running on it's own. Maybe it sucks fuel past a minute obstruction in a carb passage???? Sometimes I add Sea Foam to the fuel when I do get it runnig to maybe help clean the internal passages. Worth a try.
  8. scottr 2006

scottr 2006 LawnSite Member
    from alabama

treemonkey, I'd guess that the saw started because the added fuel/oil helped to bring up the compression. I've read where when a saw is so low on compression that it wont start the trick of putting oil in the cylinder will allow it to start.