1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl 100rx thinking about change.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by snowjeep, Feb 17, 2013.

1. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using stihl 100rx's and love them. Need to replace one because of bad cylinder. But the new ones come with the small guard and you cant use another one. I like the little larger shield because of how clean i stay and my guys feel the same. Thinking about going to a 90 or switch brands. Any opinions?
  2. Z's Lawncare

Z's Lawncare LawnSite Member
    from 20683

When did they change the size of the guard?
  3. onlythebest

onlythebest LawnSite Senior Member

Who keeps those on anyways?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I think i read somewhere on here that you can use the brushcutter guards that stihl makes to stay cleane. I havent done the research yet, but may be doing that this spring if it will work.

I like having the guards because it cuts down on the amount of gravel and rocks that are thrown....which in turn decreases the chance of breaking a window.
  5. scotlykins

scotlykins LawnSite Member

We ran our trimmers without guards for years and have no begun to leave them on to protect my guys.
  6. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

I got another 100. You can't change the guard on the new 100's because the changed the way it screws on to may it even lighter. We keep them on and use larger ones to cut down on leg nicks from rocks. And almost keeps your legs grass free. But I like the balance so staying with what works.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. mo11in5

mo11in5 LawnSite Member

just get the FS 250 and take the guards off, all they do is get in the damn way and make so you cant run enough string