1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

stihl 110 & 130

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by A-1 Affordable Lawn Care, Nov 13, 2007.

1. A-1 Affordable Lawn Care

A-1 Affordable Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Having trouble getting them to start. I was in a hurry and bought some off brand 2 cycle oil and ran great for a week and now cant get them to start.
    1 took muffle screen out
    2 put new gas and oil mix
    3 clean spark plug but are old
    got one to start one day but now i cant.

Is it possible that the both spark plugs are fould out now. the one i got started i put that spark plug in the other one and woudlnt start put it back in the first one and started used it for a day but now they both wont start.
    Do you guys have any idea what it is?
  2. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah still is notorious for being overly sensitive, unfortunately I dont have any answers for you. I just switched all my two cycle equip over to still so Im now using only premium oil amsoil or opti. Im sure many others will have ideas. Best of luck!
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Replace that spark plug, I believe you can use an Autolite 4194 vs. the Bosch.
    Also you might have to switch the carb to the winter setting :laugh:
    No I'm serious, reason I laugh is we're just finding out about this.

As for performance, I run premium fuel and Stihl oil mix only.
    Buy it by the case or the flat, there's 48 bottles in one, you can usually get a small discount that way.
  4. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

My friend uses Walmart 2 cycle oil in all his 4 Mixes no problems at all, for over two years.:confused:
  5. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

If you are not using Bosch plugs, I would say yes. I don't know why but Champion and NGK seem to foul at a greater frequency then Bosch. I wouldn't even think of putting a no name brand in a Stihl.
  6. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Is the Stihl 4 Mix more problem prone? Sounds like they are very picky on things and other brands are so much more forgiving!
  7. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

my friend i only use stihl mix oil on ever thing i use.. the trimmers are a little picky so i just changed all mix gas to the stihl mix 5 years ago and have had no problems .. also i like the name of your co.