1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl 110 trimmer vs Redmax...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dcplace2004, Jul 3, 2005.

1. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I want to buy the Stihl 110 and was wondering if the torque is too much...I have looked into redmax but the dealer here is TERRIBLE...and that is enough to keep me from going redmax, even if the machine is not as good...how is the Stihl 110...it is TOO powerful...is it quieter...vibration?...does it fling things around too much?...explain torque, as mine has none...any input is appreciated, as I want to get one next week to replace the echo from home cheapo...
  2. dcplace2004

it makes sense, that if the split boom machine goes out, you can't use anything...
  3. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Why consider buying a tool that has a proprietary carburator that you can only buy from Stihl?... WHEN you have problems with it... and you surely will have problems with a Stihl.

Why buy a machine (FS 110) with only 1.3 hp and weighs 11.7#?... when you could buy a Kawasaki (KBL27A) that has 1.6 hp and only weighs 10.6#.

If you buy a Kawasaki you will never, ever want to buy another Stihl product again.
  4. dcplace2004

but where are kwski handheld blowers--I can clear easier with a handheld than with a bulky backback--Stihl BG 85c (King of handhelds--I Demoed Redmax and their handhelds don't match the BG 85C's power of 459 cfm at the tube!...where are their assortment of edgers?...they have hedge trimmers with semi-pro gear casings??? I understand that Stihl is heavier, but what about the low end torque? And noise? 93 plus decibels? Even with earplugs you are down to 70 or so, which is LOUD! And in some cases, proprietory is good...I have not seen one person in this City with a Kwski...only Stihl...the City gov't has Stihl, most of the landscape crews have Stihl and some Redmax...anymore thoughts on this? Handhelds are one thing, but trimmers is another...anyone know of the Decibels on the Stihl FS 110?...
  5. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

From where I sit, there isnt such a thing as too much torque, just too little. now weight is a whole different story with trimmers. I like em on the light but strong side, though not all can be that way.
  6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Dealer service is why I have stuck with Stihl. Even in my rural area there are service and sales in each county. Not that other companys don't make good products. I have never had a Stihl break down or need service yet though. I have chain saws, blowers, and trimmers by Stihl. My backpack blower is a Redmax though (7001) but I have to drive 35 miles for service on it but it also has yet to need it.