Stihl 290 chainsaw quits

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Jerry and Sons, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons LawnSite Member
    from Pa

Whne the saw is running wide open everly thing is fine, but as soon as a remove full throttle it dies. Once it dies it is a real bithc to get started. Any suggestions?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I'm not the two stroke joke where I work but you could start with the easy things first. check the fuel filter, Air filter, Muffler for carbon build-up (partly plugged) and the spark plug. If all is fine the next step would be the carb.
    Maybe this will help a little.
    Good luck

3. joe stihl

joe stihl LawnSite Member

Chances are it is in the carberator. Might be the fuel line (notorious for cracking just above the tank.) Also, might be one of the oil seals is leaking air. This will cause the rpms to vary alot at wide open throttle and it will not idle.

4. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

its possible that the carb is just a little gummed up, and wont supply enough fuel to keep it going at idle, or the fuel line is cracked, as has been said. an oil seal isnt very likely since it runs fairly well at full throttle. if it makes a slight 4 cycling sound at fulll throttle the carb is correctly set, but if its just SCREAMING along, its too lean, and would be evidence of something definately not right.

5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

It's junk. Send it to me. I'll take it off your hands. :waving:

6. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

yeah.... or else just adjust the idle speed screw

7. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I have a MS310 that does the same thing...really gets my blood pressure up. I have had it in 2 stihl shops and it is not right yet. I think its the crankshaft seal leaking through not allowing the carburetor to work correctly. Mechanic looks at me funny when I suggest that. :dizzy: