Stihl 4-mix blower recall?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tanaka, May 26, 2005.

1. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Anyone hear anything about this?

2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

I Heard they Were recalled because they Were Underpowered and Heavier than the BR 420 Magnums which are Underpowered to Start With.

Where's the Tanaka Bad Boy ?

3. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I wasn't aware of any kind of recall, but the three we have are excellent machines..A far cry from the weak br420..If there is a recall that is unfortunate, as the 550 is a pretty good piece..

4. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

A BR420 can be improved by modding the muffler, which will make it sound like an idling dirtbike, but gain about .5HP I know this because I own tons of power equipment with modified mufflers, and tons of power.

5. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Interested to hear if there is a recall. I haven't used one tank of gas in my 550 and its already acting up, starts to sputter and power drops off.

6. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

YES there is a recall it is to fix a fuel problem they are having. It is only sucking half a tank.

7. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

got out within the 7 days while the git'n was good on this underpowered, overweight piece of nonsense...I liked the design though and with others would do the rounded design and cover all the essential components like fuel lines and such...thing bogged down and did not do THAT well on fuel...maybe the 600 will be a little better which has been pushed to July for a possible release--was middle of June at first...

8. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I'm buying every peice of two stroke equipment I can get my hands on.

You guy's realize that it's only like 2 maybe 3 more years before there will be nothing but 4 stroke equipment available.............anywhere...........nationwide.

I think that's correct, if not I'm sure somebody will correct me.

9. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

My feelings are maybe they really haven't worked all the bugs out of it yet..

When we first got them, I too was kinda skeptical, but as it wasn't my money that purchased them, I figured what the heck. When we first got them they really did sound like they were about to grenade, but the Grenadio sound kind of declined as we used them more.

They are hands down the easiest starting blower Stihl has ever made, And while the power isn't earth shatering, it ain't too bad.. I especially like the kill switch that you just tap to kill as well.

But I feel that they have very good fuel economy, especially considering how small the fuel tanks are.

Maybe we just got some good one's? I am currious to see how they are doing this time next year..So far they've got probly 60 or so hrs..

10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

The 550 replaces the 420 and the performance is approximately the same. The 550 is quieter and has lower emissions.

The people who mod the exhaust put everyone one step closer to restrictions on blower use. Don't do anything to increase the engine noise on any equipment.

Oldtimer