Stihl 4-mix FS110 tune up

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by sulston, Jan 2, 2007.

1. sulston

sulston LawnSite Member

I have a new Stihl FS110 4-mix that I've used for 1 1/2 seasons and it runs alright but I believe it could use a tune up and run a little better. My local dealer charges $75 for a tune up and it's not running that bad to justify paying that. Is it difficult to do a tune up on these trimmers as I would like to learn how to do it myself at 75 bucks a pop. I'm no mechanic but I'm no idiot either, I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth looking into and learning how to tune them up or is it difficult/requires special tools and I should just suck it up and pay the dealer. Your input is greatly appreciated.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Does these units have valves, if so you better be setting those soon.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

yes, 4-mixes have valves. If i were you i would simply adjust the valves then replace air / fuel filters and spark plug these engines really dont require a tune up...thats just a waste of money.

4. sulston

sulston LawnSite Member

Great, that's what I was hoping to hear. Any advice on adjusting these valves?

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

You may want to buy the valve cover gasket for it and replace when you adjust, i never have but to each his own. The dealer should also sell a adjusting kit of some sort which will include feeler gauge, gasket and wrench but you can do it without.

To adjust look up the specs in your owners manual but i believe .006'' feeler gauge works you will have to take snips and cut the gauges edge so that there is a 1/8'' piece to use because the rockers have small keepers and therefore you cant get a full width feeler in there. Thats about it, just tighten/loosen the adjusting nut until your feeler is tight but slides in and out freely.

6. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

$75?...try a different dealer that's too expensive

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Adjusting these valves just may be the reason the 4mix fails, it seems most people don't want to do any maintainance that is a little complicated. And this isn't just a gimme type of adjustment get this wrong and it will likely cause big problems.

8. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

it's not that it's too complicated, they do it all the time and can have you out the door! in 10-15 minutes.

9. sulston

sulston LawnSite Member

That's BULL@#$% if it takes 10-15 minutes and they're trying to charge me $75. I will be learning how to do this myself. What's strange is that in my manual the only thing it says about adjusting the valves is in the maintenance chart and it just says adjust as required, that's it! No instruction at all on how to do it, I went through the manual twice to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I'd love to hear from someone who does this adjustment theirself on a regular basis and could give me detailed instructions. I read lawnmaniac's instructions but it was a little bit confusing to me as I've never done it before. I appreciate all the input though.

10. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

The manufacture did not put the instructions in the owners manual because they do not feel it is a job that should be performed by the owner. Sthil has a network of trained authorized dealers that have the correct tools and knowledge to work on your equipment. I read LM's post and its pretty straight forward, I have done this job and all the info is there. I am not justifying your dealer charging you $75 if it is just labor, but you may want to find out what you are getting for you money and what kind of guarantee is given for work performed. If you do this adjustment yourself and mess it up what will you have then?
    If you have the work done at a dealer then you have a record with Sthil of work performed and if something does happen to your unit in the valve area then you have a leg to stand on in a warranty argument issue.
    Just maybe another point of view, Hope this helps:)