Stihl 4-mix fuel consumption

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 6'7 330, Aug 16, 2005.

1. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

The break-in period, our 4-mixes contrary to what Stihl advertised, consumed more two-cycle gas then their two cycle Stihl counter parts. After break in, fuel economy did pick up, but fuel consumption is no better then the two-cycle Stihl products they replaced.

So how about it, Stihl owners with 4-mix trimmers, edger’s etc, Is your two-cycle fuel consumption up, down or no better then comparable two cycle products.

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Jack and I discussed this a few times. The 4-mix does NOT get better fuel economy. The power is better, but you don't buy these if you are looking at better fuel savings.

3. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree power and grunt (Even if my mum was burdened with baring a child that grew up to be very stupid, Guess who coined that epitaph lol ), is well worth the tradeoff in fuel consumption. But I was wondering if anybody had found, the Stihl fuel consumption claims to be true.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I'll let you know tomorrow

John

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

You mean you are going to work tomorrow? haha

6. John Gamba

from ct

IT happens :cry: Howdy :waving:

John

7. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

If I may I'd like to add my $.02 for what it's worth. I agree with the power comment my FC110 has some serious power to it and it does seem to "drink" a little more that the rest of my machines but,I also go through mix like a mad man because every thing 2cycle runs on Stihl mix I have a Stihl FC110,Echo SRM2601,Shindaiwa T230,Echo PB650,Stihl 025 & MS 260 Pro chain saws, HT 101 pole pruner and an Echo ES 2100 hand held blower. And of all of them I think the 650 and FC110 "drink" the most. This again is just my $.02 I'm sure others may have things a little different but,I'm sure you can see where I'm coming from.

Rob

8. John Gamba

from ct

Hay Rob

The things that drink the most give the most. In my book anyways.

John

9. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Very true John, I can't complain about one single purchase that I've made. Next season is going to be different though I'll hopefully have 2 new Red Max BCZ3000S trimmers and a new TTHP. I will still keep the Stihl but the Echo is going to be a back up and I'll probably sell off the Shinny almost forgot I'll also have 2 BP's the Echo 650 and a Red Max 7001. I may get yelled at here to buy BIG and go 8000 but I've already gone and thought it out for like 3 or more months now and I'm settled on the 7001 it more than fits my needs in a BP.

Rob

10. John Gamba

from ct

Bill
    I ran the 4mix for about a half hour then another half hour and the fuel consumption seems the same.

I think the add states that for the power,torque it gets better then the bigger two cycles.

I like the weed whacker alot. It does leave a nice cut and going threw the thick stuff is easy.

John