1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl 4-mix Fuel Question???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AAA Lawn Service, Sep 21, 2006.

1. AAA Lawn Service

AAA Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I recently bought a used stihl 4-mix edger and I've never had one. I use 50/1 oil gas mix now in my 2 cycle equipment. Is this the right mixture to use in the 4-mix? How is the 4-mix different from the "normal" mixture??? Please help.
  2. lawnjockey51

lawnjockey51 LawnSite Member

Same mixture, at least I hope so ... that's what I have been putting in mine for the last year without a problem.
  3. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Ues, all of the Stihl 4-Mix uses 50:1 Mix. Your Stihl Dealer should have the Stihl oil already pre-pacakged for an exact 50:1 mix for 1 gallon or 2 1/2 gallon cans.
  4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Amsoil saber synthetic..80 to 1 is what we use. We run several tank's full of Stihl brand oil at 50 to 1, after which we start the Stihl's on Amsoil.
  5. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

How do you like Amsoil, and what else do you run Amsoil Lubricants in. I have been thinking about it switching to it for my vehicles and everything else, but I have not met anyone that persoannly uses it.
  6. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I have been running the Stihl HP Ultra, it is new and it is synthetic.
  7. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

We use the two cycle, tremendously good product,love it.Even those those resistors inside the muffler..never plug using Amsoil!
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I also use Amsoil synthetic. Been using it in my 2 strokes for years. It's all I've ever used in my BR600. I started using synthetic in my Wife's 32 MPG rated Chevy Cobalt from the get-go. We're getting 36-37 MPG at 65-70 MPH and over 39 MPG at 55 MPH. For cars Amsoil has extended drain interval oils that go from 25,000 to 35,000 miles. You do need to change the oil filter at regular recommended intervals.
  9. lisam

lisam LawnSite Member

Dear Aaa,

Spoke To Our Head Mechanic, He Said You're Mixing It Correctly. You Go With The Specific Instructions Per The Oil Manufacturer. Hope This Helps. Lisa, @ Power Equipment Warehouse
  10. I have a Stihl 4-mix trimmer that I've been running on Amsoil at 85/1 for a couple of years. Most times it'll start on the first pull. Never gums up, never fouls the plug.

I liked it so well I kind of went ape with synthetic oil. Bought Rotella synthetic for the diesels. I've since stopped that. No advantage in an older motor.

Now it's Amsoil in the 2-cycles, the wife's corolla gets Mobile 1, and the motorcycle & Kohler on the WB get Rotella synthetic.