Stihl 4 mix hedge trimmers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Westbrooklawn, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

Is anyone using the Stihl 4 mix articulating hedge trimmers? I am looking at the HL100k and the shorter extended reach (HL75K?). I am hearing good things about the 4 mix engine, but these trimmers are a little heavy.....a little over 15 lbs.

I'm not sure if I should just go with the Shindaiwa or Husky reqular 2 cycle at around 13 lbs.

Who has experience with the stihl 4 mix extended reach articulating head? Any words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance.
  2. westernmdlawn

westernmdlawn LawnSite Member

I have a Stihl 4-Mix Articulating Pole Saw. It is the cats azz. I love it. First 4-mix product I have purchased, and am definitely planning on replacing the 2 cycle trimmers I have with the 4-mix ones. The fuel economy alone is worth it. They sound too cool also. I can get a long ass time out of a fuel tank full, I'd tell you exactly how long, but I still haven't run the first tankfull out yet! Great Product so far, too soon to tell for durability, but I've been hearing good things.
  3. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the reply...bttt
  4. LawnSite Senior Member

I seen the 4 mix blowers and trimmers at the landscape show and I'm in need of a new trimmer and edger this year. Any thoughts from you guys on the Kombi system to accept both the edger and articulation hedge trimmers and such?

I'll buy a dedicated trimmer but the Kombi route may be ok. I had a Maryuama multi unit once and the method for attaching the ends on to the main shaft sucked, stripped out the bolt everytime.

Suggestions are always great.
  5. Legacy

Legacy LawnSite Member

OK..let's clear something up here...

The 4 mix units are NOT more fuel efficient than 2 cycle stuff from RedMax and Echo!! Check the specs

They ARE more efficient than Stihl's old 2 cycle stuff...

Im my opinion, 2 cycle is still the way to go...less moving parts, less weight, less maintenance etc...
  6. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Fuel economy is a non-issue. Power, quality and productivity are the only things that come into play when comparing power tools. The small difference in fuel usage between 2 cycle and 4 cycle means nothing. The 4-mix tools have 2 cycle equipment beat hands down when it comes to power and productivity. Eventually all manufacturers will be required to produce 4 cycle tools to meet EPA emissions requirements.
  7. Legacy

Legacy LawnSite Member

Here we go again.....

4 cycle or 4 mix variants are NOT more powerful than 2 cycle and 2 cycle is NOT going away!

The new engines from Redmax and Echo are lighter, more powerful (if you compare equal size engines)and more fuel efficient which makes these 2 cycle engines more productive in the long run....

Quality 2 cycle equipment is NOT going away!!
  8. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

The Stihl is 15+# and only delivers 1.2 hp.
    Stihl uses a proprietary carb, meaning if (really WHEN!) the carb goes out on the Stihl (and it WILL), you will be paying big dollars to fix it.

Look at the Tanaka TPH-270PN extended hedge trimmer.
    It is 13.0# and delivers 1.4 hp. Plus, Tanaka uses a standard Walboro carb - you can get one anywhere if need be.
  9. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Completely and totally clueless.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

redmax hands down the most powerful. if you like carrying around a 15 pound stihl trimmer more power to ya i'll stick with the 11-12 pound trimmer.