Stihl 4 mix owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, May 6, 2007.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well the 4 mix has been out a while. I eventually want to buy a high power trimmer and it will probably be Stihl because of local service I can count on. I have been running fs 85's I think. I would like just a bit more power with me next unit. I really like the light weight 2 strokes but I doubt I could find a powerful two stroke Sthil still in stock. So after running the 2 stroke all those years how does the 4 mix models compare. My dealer acts like they are powerful but really don't feel as powerful because of the 4 stroke design. So, which model should I be looking at? I don't have to have the most powerful but close. As far as weight and power what do you think of the new Sthil 4 mix trimmers. Please be model specific and how they would compare to what I have. They seem heavier and bulkier but this may just be my perception since I haven't used one. Thanks!

I could jump ship and go with Redmax I guess but the dealer is further and I'm not sure about service. But if you want to make a comment on how they compare that would be ok.

2. dgfitz

dgfitz LawnSite Member

The Fs80 is a two stroke, with plenty of power, same as FS85 but with a cable drive. Ths FS110 is powerful, and if that isn't enough, the Fs130 will get you
    there, and the Fs90 is no slouch either. Weight versus power, the Fs110 wins
    that battle, you will get used to the slight weight increase.

3. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I was gonna start a thread on the Stihl 4-mix. Im the proud owner of a Fs-130. Biggest 4-mix they make I was told. Im coming off of a 326L husqvarna trimmer (25cc). The 130 is a 36cc trimmer. I am in love!!. This thing starts first pull, after I learned how to operate it. Gobs of power, I mean this thing is ridiculous. One thing that I will say is that the way it revves up is different than a 2 stroker. I think of the 4-mix as kinda like a diesel. It takes a second or two to rev to WOT, but once it gets there, its gonna take a pretty thick piece of something to stop it. I think my 130 weighs in at around 12-13lbs. I can definitly tell a difference between that and the 326L that comes in at a light-weight 9.9lbs. After a week of use, I can tell a little bit of "wear and tear" in the bi-cept area, as well as for-arms. I will probably use the 326 to do the "dog and pony show" trimming, i.e-walkways and around houses. But, for medium to heavy growth, I will put the young trimmer away, and bring out a real man's trimmer, the FS-130....

Hope this helps someone in making a decision, my dealer sold me the trimmer and an extra head out the door for $449. If you have any questions let me know!:walking:

4. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I believe that I was using the two cycle 85 with the brush bar before I got the 4-mix 110. I am very glad that I got it. it does seem like it doesn't have the go that the 2-cycles have, mostly because of the sound. But they seem to do just as good a job if not better in the long run. I have no plans to go back to 2 cycle trimmers!

5. CleanCutMowers

CleanCutMowers LawnSite Member
    from SE MO

I bought a new FS 90 this year and love it. Personally I think the power is great. I did not think I would like it as well as I liked my 2 stroke stihl but I love it. Lightweight and runs great. It is quieter and idles down and still runs very smooth. I dont think you would be disppointed at all with the 4 mix. Like the other guy said starts easily all the time.

6. J&T Kiev

J&T Kiev LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.W In.

I have both the FS-100 and FS 110; both trimmers use the same engine. The FS-100 is lighter than and as powerful as the FS-110. Stihl does not recommend using attachments with the FS-100 because of the lighter material the shaft is made out of.The FS-100 is light and is more powerful then the FS 85’s. After break-in period,most 4-MIX trimmers are better on fuel then the two cycle Stihl trimmers.

7. NORTHMAN

NORTHMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

tacoma,I have an old FS85,and a new last year FS130(both with bike handles).I haven't used the FS130 that much,it's to much for normal trimming,it goes through line at an alarming rate,I've tried .95 and 105,it just won't last.It's more of a light brushcutter then a trimmer.Do you really want to lug 13 lbs around/If it was me and i wanted to stay with Stihl and wanted a dedicated trimmer,I'd buy the FS100RX,it weighs about 10 lbs and has 1.1HP more than enough for trimming.Good luck.

8. THRIFTY

THRIFTY LawnSite Member
    from (913)

My FS 80 is a beast, and I highly recomend it!

9. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have an fs 90r and i like it i do agree it did take some getting use to the power band is much different then the two strokes just getting new habits and ways to trim i use to kind of bump the throttle to keep head speed up a little but with the 4 mix its best to run WOT IMO i dont like the weight i was use to the fs80 which is lighter and i think i will buy a different string trimmer for trimming my weakly accounds i am looking at a light weight robbin i think around 8 pounds compared to 12 or 13 makes a big difference when you are solo and doing up to 25 accounts daily

10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, lots of good info. Palmer'LS do you use this as your main trimmer. Seems like some think it's a bit heavy. Too bad they won't let you test one for a day. I may find a fellow LCO to lend me one for a few hours. I often have the need to run at low rpm's because I'm near delicate plants or cars. I know the say to operate the 2 strokes at WOT buy its just not worth the risk of damaging a tree or throwing a rock sometimes. All great replies, I'm surprised to get them so quick. Any of you guys wear shin protection or anything to protect your legs and where did you get it? I've seen a few guys with them but I've never seen them in a store or even on line. Not even shure what the proper name for them would be.