Stihl 4-mix question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PLS-Tx, Sep 21, 2006.

1. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I'm thinking of switching from Shindaiwa, to Stihl 4-mix, I have always liked Shindaiwa but the new 231,261,272 are JUNK.

I thinking about going with the FS100RX, BR 600, but I'm not sure which edger.

The FC 110 looks like it would have tons of power, but heavier than what I'm used to.

Does anyone have the FC 75 or the FC 100 edgers, if so how do you like them?

I'm also looking at the split boom.

2. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

bought a FS 90 this Sat will be 2 weeks at first I did not like it but the more I run it the more I like it has a lot of low speed torque My part timer that I use sometimes said he loves it. the engine do not sound like a typical weedeater sounds like a small twin clyinder engine , deep and throaty sound not high pitched ,twj

3. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

The FC110 looks heavy but you lose the weight when it is working. Kind of like a chainsaw. The FC75 is a lighter unit with 1.1 hp compared to the 1.3 hp of the 110. The advantage of the 110 or the 100 over the 75 would be the torque. The trimmer and blower mentioned above are nice.
    Good luck with your decision.

4. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have the FC100 and wish I had the 110. The 100 works great in good conditions and will go thru a fair amount of overgrowth. But you know what happens when you don't get the most powerful. The first time the 100 bogs down or wont cut thru the overgrowth you'll be wishing you had bought the 110, at least thats what happens to me. I have mainly had problems when having to edge thru wet mud/clay. In those conditions with the 100 I often have to go back and forth several times until it gets thru the nasty stuff. I have also had it get clogged with mud and then the blade won't spin. I then have to stop and clear the debris with a screwdriver. Now mind you this is only in sticky muddy conditions. In all but these conditions the 100 has worked great and provides a clean sharp edge. I may just buy a more powerful edger like the 110 and use it for tougher conditions and use the 100 for yards with established edges. By the way where in Texas are you located? I bet your glad to finally get some cooler weather, I know I am.

5. CELawn

CELawn LawnSite Member

Yep. I recently bought the 100 and wish I would have gone with the 110. The 100 is great once the edge is established or if there is only a little overgrowth, but it is only OK in tougher conditons. Spend the money and get the 110 IMO.

6. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I went from a little FC55 to a FC110 and the weight difference is barely noticed.

Definitely go with the 110.

7. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

8. FinalCut05

FinalCut05 LawnSite Member

I have to Km 110R as well, its a beast. I've only had one situation where I had to use more than half throttle. Will mow down any grass, tall brush and small children if you are not careful. LOL. Just my .02.

9. greatlawns

greatlawns LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have the FS110 and it works great, very powerful. I also have the BR600 blower and can't say enough good things about it, it is very quiet and almost as powerful as my EB7001. I also have a Redmax BCZ2400S and the FS110 is a little heavier, but much more powerful. Try one out.

10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

My 600 sounds like a little diesel