1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl 4 mix , the throw away trimmers.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dishboy, Aug 4, 2012.

1. banjoman

banjoman LawnSite Member

Ive got 2 90s and there pretty good, but nothing like the old raw 2 stroke Sthil models. I wish Stihl would bring back the 85,120,200. Im getting ready to purchase a few 250's for this very reason.
  2. Schuley

Schuley LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldnt say their use is very low... Its called maintenance.
    My 2 man crew runs full time all week for 30 weeks a year...
    I wouldnt consider that light use.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Stihl is just like any other brand. You're going to have lovers and haters. I have 3 pieces of 4 Mix here and all of them have been very good so far. I have 2 BR600s and a FC90. I'd buy their trimmers but they're too heavy for my liking. I use Kawasaki trimmers and a Stihl FS80. I like the Kawasaki trimmers so much I'm going to keep buying them as long as they make them. To me they are a good replacement for the Shindy T-230 that's no longer made. The Kawi is about the same weight but has more power.
  4. Jail Bird

Jail Bird LawnSite Member

Same here....no reason to look at anything else
  5. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S. New Jersey

The Shindaiwa and Kawasaki 2-cycle products are the best!!! The B&s, and Kawasaki are the best 4-cycles!!
  6. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S. New Jersey

I have a shindaiwa T242 and I love it!! lots of power!! Can't compare to Stihl. But i like stihl. Also have a Kawasaki KRB650B and it is the lightest, most powerful blower on the market!!!!!
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  7. LibertyFarmLandscaping

LibertyFarmLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE TX

Which model Kawi trimmer do you have?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I did have a problem with it when I first got it. It would shut off and refuse to restart whenever it got hot. I used it sparingly last year because of this. This spring I got it out and starting using it and the problem has gone away. Who knows? I've never seen anything like it.

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

I think a lot of you guys that have 4-mix trimmers that last more than a year must not run them very hard. I tried a fs100rx and it didn't last more than six months, we burned up the clutch and it needed a short block after six months so I trashed it. Now I run all stihl fs250r's and they are bulletproof. Won't use another trimmer.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

This is my third season using a fs100rx, with few problems, other than the occasional starting issue, which I've mentioned before in other posts. I probably don't use mine as much as someone with crews, because I'm basically a one-man-band, but I still put quite a few hours on one each season. I love the trimmer, because of the light weight, and the unusual balance point, which took a while to get used to. Because of the way it is balanced, it is easier to use one-handed, which I often do along ditches, etc, saving my back in the process.