Stihl 4 mix , the throw away trimmers.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dishboy, Aug 4, 2012.

1. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

sthil trimmers are too heavy to be considered by me also.
  2. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Must been operator fault Im on 4th year on 2 and 3rd year on 1

you have pics of damage I like to see
  3. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

The FS 250 is one of the best trimmers ever made and light but if you ever want to get one that will not quit try the 350 or bigger shins but they are heavy.
  4. B&SFTW

B&SFTW LawnSite Member

I don't understand the 4 mix trimmers, it just sounds like fail from the beginning. B&S, honda, and others have the right idea with an any angle sump. I've used a 4 mix pole pruner, and can honestly say with how temperamental it is, I would never buy one. my B&S isn't very old, but it starts and runs reliably every time. the stihl doesn't seem to be run hard, and seems new enough, so I don't think it's worn out, just a bad design.
  5. dahammer

dahammer LawnSite Member

The truly sad thing is that the new equipment doesn't last as long as the old equipment. It use to the case that companies brought improvements with newer equipment. Now days all they seem to care about is making them cheaper and more profitable. The older US made Stihl equipment was unbeatable.
  6. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a Kawi 323 trimmer about a month ago and I love's so light and has sufficient power for light to medium duty trimming. It even starts easily (1 to 2 pulls most of the time) and is ready to work immediately...kind of like my old Shindaiwa stuff was. I seem to going through a lot more line though...I'm used to a bigger/stiffer bump spring than the ones on the T-35 head. The other thing is that it seems to run kind of hot, or at least the unit is hot near where my right arm is. Overall though it's a keeper.
  7. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

If you look at Stihl's 4mix design over the new Shindaiwa design, it's a night and day difference.

The Shindaiwa I feel has the better over-all 4mix design I've seen so far. It's all about the path of the fuel and I think that's the biggest issue with the Stihl.

8. B&SFTW

B&SFTW LawnSite Member

sorry, I meant dolmar, not shindaiwa. dolmar, honda, and briggs and stratton all have it right. why would you go to all the trouble of building a 4 stroke engine just to make it use mixed gas? if you're going to build a 4 stroke, give it a proper sump.
  9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

10. turfbuilder

turfbuilder LawnSite Senior Member
    from WI

Been running Sthil hand helds for 15 years without any major problems. Currently have 4 FS90'S 4mix and they are 3-4 years old and are used 40hrs a week and have not had any issues.