Stihl 4-mix trimmer, Any good?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by proscaper, Apr 20, 2003.

1. proscaper

proscaper LawnSite Member

I saw this new trimmer. Anyone have any experience with them? If so, what did you like or dislike, pros and cons?

Josh

2. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

Little heavier and still have to mix the gas,I think I'll wait a year or so till I think they got the bugs worked out.

3. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I bought one a couple of weeks ago. I'm still getting used to it. I've used Echo for years. It is a little heavier, but has less vibration. It's seems like it'll be less of a polluter too. First thing I did, was replace the line it came with. I don't like using the round line. I'd definately recommend a demo to get your own feel for it. Overall, I like it. Another month and I'll have a more definate opinion though. Good luck.

4. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

A friend has one it has good power ,but i'll stick with the fs 85 for a while get em get all the bugs out of the new 4 mix

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

One of the reps was at my dealer's open house and they gave me a hat for trying the 4 mix. Nice trimmer. Barely heavier than a FS85, quieter, less vibration, more torque, still has high RPM's (8600 or 9600 I thought, but sounded like 3600! I didn't beleive him but he said I have a tach, would you like proof?). He said in tests the FS85 ran about 45 minutes on one tank and the new 4 mix ran an hour and 20 minutes on the same amount of fuel! Better emissions too I beleive. The reason for having it run on 2 cycle mix is it's alot simpler and more reliable than having seperator oil and gas setup's like other brands have he said. Plus, you can run this one at any angle unlike other 4 stroke trimmers, which have to be in the regular trim position to run! Seemed nice but I won't be going for one for a while as I have an '02 FS80R (great trimmer).

6. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I will be buying one as soon as they have it in a split shaft version that works with my existing attachments.
    There is nothing worse than being almost done and having to run back to the truck for more gas. This in itself will be a great time saver.
    Plus I could use more torque when using my edger attachment on neglected props.

Jimbo

7. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

BHB what about the Shindaiwa? It does all the same things, anyone tried it?

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

That I do not know... the dealer also has Shinny but doesn't push it too much really. They didn't have a 4 stroke Shinny there. The Stihl rep said something about the Shinny having a bad design but I forget what it was specifically, sorry.

9. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I e-mailed Stihl and asked if they planned to make the new 4-stroke in a split-shaft model, which would use the same multi-cut attachments I already own.

The reply said to contact my regional Stihl distributor and find out when they would be shipping the KM110R to local dealers!

Its already been manufactured!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes!!!! KM110R (right that down!

Jimbo

10. bluebeard

bluebeard LawnSite Member
    from ny

"One of the reps was at my dealer's open house and they gave me a hat for trying the 4 mix. Nice trimmer. Barely heavier than a FS85, quieter, less vibration, more torque, still has high RPM's (8600 or 9600 I thought, but sounded like 3600! I didn't beleive him but he said I have a tach, would you like proof?). He said in tests the FS85 ran about 45 minutes on one tank and the new 4 mix ran an hour and 20 minutes on the same amount of fuel! Better emissions too I beleive. The reason for having it run on 2 cycle mix is it's alot simpler and more reliable than having seperator oil and gas setup's like other brands have he said. Plus, you can run this one at any angle unlike other 4 stroke trimmers, which have to be in the regular trim position to run! Seemed nice but I won't be going for one for a while as I have an '02 FS80R (great trimmer)."

How do you know when your current trimmer dealer is lying to you? His lips are moving.

Why do I say that you wonder.
    Head on over to Honda's website or your local Honda dealer and look at their trimmers. You'll see your current trimmer dealer in a whole new uninformed light.

Honda's new line of trimmers are far and away the best trimmer on the market today.