1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl 4-mix Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cuttenup, Jun 20, 2009.

1. cuttenup

cuttenup LawnSite Member
    from NETN

I bought a new Stihl FS-90 and have used it several times. I must say that I am a little dispointed with it. It does not spool up as fast or have no where near the power as my Red Max 2610 that has the Strato Charge engine on it. I have several other older pieces of Stihl equipment that have done great for me. Maybe Im just not use to the 4-mix. Anyone else had this problem? I bought the FS-90 because of all the great things that I had herd about it.
  2. Cuttinitclose

Cuttinitclose LawnSite Bronze Member

I love mine. It will take time to get used to, if your used to the Redmax.
  3. lawnproslawncare

lawnproslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Love mine...not much else to say
  4. KCfireman

KCfireman LawnSite Bronze Member

Love all of mine.
  5. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I had terrible luck with all of our stihl 4-mix equipment. Not one peice lived past a year and a half of use. Sythetic oils were used and good quality fuel.....valves would need to be adjusted way to often, would run rough, underpowered , loose power quick inbetween tune ups & hard to start when hot/warm.

I don't think this was a wide spread issue...but enough that we will never try 4-mix crap anymore. I hate anything that adds extra maintenance....and adding valves just made things more comlicated. Simplicity is the way to go.
  6. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

That will be the first of MANY disappointments with that pos. Mine has gone airborne so many times! It has been in for service top many times to count.
    They blow.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

I hated it Buton guy is correct always getting valve adjustments and under powered for us sell them now to some one who loves them but it was not me or any of my guys
  8. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 6 RX 100 trimmers and have not had a probelm with any of them. They are run hard all day 5 days a week. Most are 2 years old. We run 89 octane and Opti 2 in them.
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Did you get those thru McCoys?
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think this is probably one of the best reasons behind brand loyalty, just run what works and forget all the rest.