Stihl 4-mix valve adj. not neccessary?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBrother, Oct 11, 2007.

1. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I was told by the dealer where I bought my 4 mix stuff that the one-time valve adjustment was not longer necessary. I thought it was strange so I questioned them about it, but they assured me it was not needed, and that because it was a maintenance item it was not covered by warranty anyway. They said they would look at it if it was running funny, but it's running fine, I just wanted to get the valves adjusted like it says in the manual. Is this right? Was there a service bulletin that says a one time valve adjustment is not needed anymore, as they claimed at the dealer?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with the dealer when they say so long it works, don't fix it.

It's a minor thing, some valves might need it, but the interval in this case is purely preventative, in CASE it needs it, so as long as it runs, keep going.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Funny guess technology has passed me bye.....didn't know they had valves that didn't need adjusting. Unless they were hydraulic? I guess just run them until the valves are burned and replace them.

4. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

:laugh: :laugh:

I guess I'll let them go till it starts running funny. It's been over a year and it runs like the day I bought it.

5. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine got a little hard starting, after adjusting the valves, one pull everytime.:clapping: Great machines. Adjusting the valves takes about three minutes.

6. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I have thirteen 4-mix powered hand trimmers or blowers and have, as of yet, to adjust one valve.
    The dealer told me Stihl's had an intermittent problem initially that necessitated the long block replacement - the problem was off idle throttle response but Stihl figured out the issue. Yet none of this happened with my equipment.
    I will have to check out the valves on the four oldest hand trimmers as they are becoming a bit difficult to start.