stihl 4 mix

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gunner27, Apr 4, 2005.

1. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

This is not a bashing thread, just an honest question. If the 4 mix solution is the way stihl answers the epa, and they believe so heavily in it, will they convert there chainsaws to this also? And if so, why don't we have a 4 mix chainsaw already? If this was already brought up i am sorry, I did a search and couldn't find anything.

2. USM Lawns

USM Lawns LawnSite Member

I for one am sticking with 2 cycle..

Echo and Redmax have excellent 2 cycle products and that's what I'm staying with...a lot less maintenance and more power for the amount of weight...more fuel efficient as well.

I tried the new 4 mix blower (550) and was not impressed.

3. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I guess I am interested to see what stihl is going to do with there chainsaws. I am impressed with what they have done in the past, but I am reluctant to buy anything they have until I see long term reliability with there new format.

4. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Also, as I mentioned in my original post, what does this mean in the long run for there chainsaws?

5. woodmedic

woodmedic LawnSite Member
    from Texas

4 mix only requires a 1 time valve adjustment at around 135 hours. After that its the same maint. as a 2 stroke. Weight difference is negligible. 4stroke engines are and will always be more fuel efficient than 2 strokes.

Funny how everyone knocks the 4 mix for being heavy.....Yet praises Redmax for their 8000 blower which is extremely heavy!!

6. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Will Sthil follow the 4-mix technolgy with the chainsaws? Thank you with any future info.

7. USM Lawns

USM Lawns LawnSite Member

I saw the Stihl rep at an open house and he said that the valves on the 4 mix have to be adjusted after approx. 135 hours and then when needed after that. It is NOT a one time adjustment!

4 cycles are not as fuel efficient as 2 cycles and are heavier when comparing apples to apples...more maintenance and wear points as well.

The Redmax 8000 has more power than anything else out there and that is why we put up with the weight. The 4 mix blower power is a joke in comparison and is very heavy for the amount of air it produces.

I'm sticking with 2 cycle...Give me back the BR420 and the FS85!!

8. jaguar4000

jaguar4000 LawnSite Member