Stihl 4-Mix

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wanabe, Jun 17, 2004.

1. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Is the Stihl 4 mix a good engine? I am looking for a 12' pole saw and the dealer has a couple of them in stock with the 4-mix. I asked about the old 2 stroke, claim no longer made. They are still on the Stihl web site, so do they still make them? What would you buy? Thanks

2. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

This engine has been in use on the FS 110 model trimmer for about a year and a half.

It has been just fine ! No service issues at all.

You will find that it has a great deal of torque. This makes it seem to have terrific "lugging" power. If you have ever used the Pole saw with the 2 cycle engine , you will think that the new 4 cycle cuts as though it was a much bigger 2 cycle.

Another benefit to the 4 cycle engine is that it produces the same horsepower on about 20% less fuel !
    The reason for this is that a 2 cycle engine that is piston ported will always allow a certain amount of fuel and air to blast in through the intake port, shoot across the dome of the piston, and blow right out the exaust port. This not only wastes fuel + oil [and your money], but it also is the reason that it is so difficult to get the exaust pollution under control in a 2 cycle.

3. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, they are great. We have 3 of them and prefer them over the 2 cycles.

4. wanabe

from So. IL

Thanks for the info guys. Can I ask what you paid for yours? The tag said $599.99. Will Stihl dealers cut a deal? Thanks

5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Seen them for less. I think around 529.00. I know in may our stihl dealer has a big sale cutting everything down by at least 10% Also stihl sends me a 25.00 off cupon for any item 250.00 and up. I get one about every six months or so.

6. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Most of our trimmers are 4 Mix. Just got the new 4 mix pole trimmer. You will not regret getting the 4 Mix....

7. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

They sound wierd as hell. I just bought a 4mix hedge trimmer w/ articulating from the stihl dealer. It had been used once and I got it for $450.

8. wanabe

from So. IL

Thanks guys. I guess it is off to the dealer to start the pricing. Thanks

9. gr8cutter

gr8cutter LawnSite Member

We just bought 2 Stihl W/E & the Pole hedge trimmers. They marked it down for us but only a few dollars. We love the pole hedge trimmers.